Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation and gauss' law

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    hello,
    I was wondering if there is an equivalent gauss' law for gravitation like:
    [tex]\Phi[/tex]=4[tex]\pi[/tex]G*Menclosed
    any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3
    thank you. but do magnetic fields have any such law? intuitively, i am inclined to say no,
    because magnetic field lines can cross.....but i would like a rigorous proof

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, there's a Gauss's law for magnetic fields--it's one of Maxwell's Equations. Since there are no magnetic monopoles, it is rather simple: Gauss' law for magnetism.

Magnetic field lines can cross only where the field is zero.

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'm curious as to why there isn't any magnetic monopoles. The freshman physics textbook I read for my intro physics course says that current theory (I think it was Serway) does predict the existence of magnetic monopoles.

7. Aug 7, 2008 #6
    No one seems to have found any magnetic monopoles. By including magnetic charge and magnetic current terms in Maxwell's equations you postulate magnetic charge. It brings some (anti-) symmetry to the equations, but this is inconsistence with the magnetic potential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?