Calculating Surface Gravity on Planet X?

In summary, the conversation discussed the hypothetical planet X, which has 2.2 times the radius of Earth and 2.5 times its density. The question posed was how to calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of planet X. The equation g=GM/r^2 was mentioned, but there was confusion about how to use density to solve for mass. It was suggested to use the equation for volume of a sphere to calculate the mass, given the known radius and density.
mandi182

Homework Statement

Consider a hypothetical extra*solar world, planet X, that has 2.2 times the radius of the Earth and 2.5 times its density.

What is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of planet X?

Homework Equations

g=GM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to do with density. I know that mass/volume = density, but how do I solve the equation without mass? I know how to solve the equation when I know mass but if I only know density, how do I solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the radius, you can calculate the volume. If you know the volume and the density, you can calculate the mass...

How do I use radius to calculate volume? What is the equation to do that?

Thanks

Thanks, I wasn't able to get it right but I appreciate your help!

What is gravitation?

Gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between objects with mass. It is responsible for the motion of planets around the sun, the moon around the Earth, and objects falling towards the ground.

How does gravity affect motion?

Gravity affects motion by exerting a force on objects with mass, causing them to accelerate towards each other. This force is known as gravitational force and it is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The relationship between mass and gravity is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull.

How does gravity impact the motion of celestial bodies?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the motion of celestial bodies. It keeps planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around their respective planets. It also affects the motion of stars and galaxies, causing them to move towards each other and form larger structures.

Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying ways to understand this force better and potentially find ways to harness it for practical use in the future.