Gravitation and the Principle of Superposition

In summary, to find the net gravitational force on a central sphere with a mass of m5 = 3.00 g, formed by four spheres of masses m1 = 5.10 g, m2 = 3.00 g, m3 = 1.20 g, and m4 = 5.10 g, you will need to calculate the distance between the center particle and any of the four particles at the extremities using the edge length given and the Pythagorean theorem. Then, using the formula G*m_1*m_2/d^2, you can calculate the forces exerted by each of the four particles and add them as vectors to get the net force. Alternatively, you can take the difference
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

A square of edge length 19.0 cm is formed by four spheres of masses m1 = 5.10 g, m2 = 3.00 g, m3 = 1.20 g, and m4 = 5.10 g. In unit-vector notation, what is the net gravitational force from them on a central sphere with mass m5 = 3.00 g?

Homework Equations

G*m_1*m_2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the distance, d, use the edge length they give you and the pythagorean theorem to solve for a diagonal in the square. I divided this answer by two for the distance between the center particle and any of the 4 particles at the extremities.

Next, I ran the formula above for each of the 4 particles to solve for the forces they exert. However, I'm confused as how to take the difference between the opposing forces to get two net forces, and calculate the forces in the x and y directions by using trig. For example, I'm unsure whether to subtract F_54 from F_51 or vice versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will want to add them as vectors.

So draw each of them, and then account for the x and y components of each.

As a short cut you can take the difference between forces from opposite corners, since they necessarily are opposite in direction at the center point.

LowlyPion said:
You will want to add them as vectors.

So draw each of them, and then account for the x and y components of each.

As a short cut you can take the difference between forces from opposite corners, since they necessarily are opposite in direction at the center point.

For the shortcut, do I subtract F_54 (top left) from F_51 (bottom right) or vice versa? F_53 (bottom left) from F_52 (top right) or vice verse?

peaceandlove said:
For the shortcut, do I subtract F_54 (top left) from F_51 (bottom right) or vice versa? F_53 (bottom left) from F_52 (top right) or vice verse?

The ones that are in opposite directions you can, both pairs, then add the those results as vectors.

F_1= -3.997836793732E-14 (x-coordinate) & 3.997836793732E-14 (y-coordinate)
F_2= 2.351668702195E-14 (x-coordinate) & 2.351668702195E-14 (y-coordinate)
F_3= -9.406674808782E-15 (x-coordinate) & -9.406674808782E-15 (y-coordinate)
F_4= 3.997836793732E-14 (x-coordinate) & -3.997836793732E-14 (y-coordinate)

Added all together: x-coordinate=1.41103e-14 and y-coordinate=1.41103e-14.

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. This is due to the force of gravity, which is a fundamental force of nature.

2. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more gravitational forces act on an object, the resulting force is equal to the vector sum of all the individual forces. In other words, the net force is the combination of all the individual forces acting on the object.

3. How does the principle of superposition apply to gravitation?

In the context of gravitation, the principle of superposition means that the gravitational force between two objects is the sum of the individual gravitational forces between each pair of objects. This allows us to calculate the total gravitational force on an object in a system with multiple masses.

4. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

5. How does distance affect gravitational force?

The force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases. This is known as the inverse square law of gravitation.