Calculating Net Gravitational Force on Mass A in a Square Configuration

• Thread starter knight4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, you need to find the magnitude and direction of the net gravtitational force on mass A due to the other masses. each side of the square is 10cm. you should use 6.67 for G, and .1414213562 for r.
knight4life

Homework Statement

Each mass is 4kg find the magnitude and direction of the net gravtitational force on mass A due to the other masses. each side of the square is 10cm
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3815/1012447.jpg
I am having trouble with (b) the square

Homework Equations

F = Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

what I did was used the formula above to find AB, AC, and then used pythagorean theorm to find radius from A to D. then I used the above equation, and added the values together getting 2.17x10^-7 the correct solution is 2.04x10^-7 What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible that you used a different number of significant figures than the answer key?
The two values are very close.

Edit:
You shouldn't add the values at the end, you should find the resultant of AC with AB, and then add AD. Is this what you did?

Last edited:
husky88 said:
Is it possible that you used a different number of significant figures than the answer key?
The two values are very close.

Edit:
You shouldn't add the values at the end, you should find the resultant of AC with AB, and then add AD. Is this what you did?

yes I did do it that way, and no I am pretty sure I used the same amount of significant figures as the book did.

Well I get the same answer as the key, 2.04*10^-7.
What are some intermediate values you got?

for AC and AB i did (6.674E-11)(4)(4)/.1^2 =1.068E-7

for AD i used (6.674E-11)(4)(4)/.5657^2 = 1.89E-9

I believe these are the correct values, now this is where I run into problems.

I used 6.67 for G, not 6.674. This will yield 2.04 E-7.
Also r for AD is 0.1414213562, not .5657. Hope you can figure out why.

husky88 said:
I used 6.67 for G, not 6.674. This will yield 2.04 E-7.
Also r for AD is 0.1414213562, not .5657. Hope you can figure out why.

yeah I have .1414 also, I got the .5657 from the problem I had written beneath it. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was not taking the resultant of AC and AB like you earlier suggested. I tried it this way, and I got the correct result. Thank you for all of your help.

I've been trying to tackle a similar problem for longer than I would like to admit (again part b).

All sides are equal, all masses are equal, have to show that magnitude = (Gm^2/a^2)(sqrt(9/4+sqrt(2)))

the 9/4 looks like (3/2)^2, or (1+1/2); so I believe it is a creation of 60 degrees; which would make me think i need to tackle the sqrt(2) from a 30 degree standpoint.. but I don't see how I can generate sqrt(sqrt(2)) so that the first cancels out while developing magnitude.

I really didn't want to ask.. but kinda desperate to get this done.

1. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

The force of gravity between two objects is what causes them to be attracted to each other. This attraction pulls the objects towards each other, affecting their motion and causing them to accelerate towards one another.

2. What factors affect the strength of gravitational force between objects?

The strength of gravitational force between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

3. How does the distance between objects affect gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force decreases as the distance between objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

4. Can gravity be shielded or cancelled out?

No, gravity cannot be shielded or cancelled out. It is a fundamental force of nature that cannot be eliminated. However, the effects of gravity can be counteracted by other forces, such as the force of air resistance or the force of propulsion.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the strength of its gravitational pull?

The mass of an object directly affects the strength of its gravitational pull. The greater the mass, the stronger the gravitational force. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, such as rocks.