1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation book

1. May 18, 2006 #1
    i wonder, the book by kip thorne and john wheeler called gravitation, is it a technical textbook on gr? and on a scale of 1-5 (1-easy 5 extremely hard) how would you rate this book?
    are there any other challenging textbooks on GR?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2006 #2
    MTW is a (technical) textbook that I hope to study someday. As for challenging GR texts, I've read many reviews which say Wald is a very good (best?) and challenging graduate-level text on GR.
  4. May 18, 2006 #3
    neutrino, i too hope that someday i would have a spare time to read this monumental textbook. (that with the principia mathematica by russel and whitehead are hardcore texts in their respective fields).
  5. May 29, 2006 #4
    Gravitation is the one that I studied, and I highly recommend. I have read Wald's book, and I don't think that it is as pedogagical as is Gravitation (though I have a slight bias).

Or you could look into PAM Dirac's "General Relativity", it's probably the hardest book I've read on General Relativity.
  6. Aug 6, 2006 #5
    Wald's book is a tough nut, very terse and not very friendly, but it still has much material not found in other books.

I recently got Carroll's graduate text, and it's much more friendly than Wald. But I paid $70 for a used copy. :eek:

Can anyone claim to have read all of MTW? What a monster. Still a cool book to dip into now and then.
  7. Aug 11, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find amusing what Wald said about the exercises in his book: ' ... and none (exercises) which are, in my opinion, inordinately difficult (i.e., I think I can solve them).'

This, from one of the world's leading experts on relativity!

Chapter 9 is worth the price of admission.

Not me.

It's sitting open on my desk as I type.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?