Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation book

1. May 18, 2006 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

i wonder, the book by kip thorne and john wheeler called gravitation, is it a technical textbook on gr? and on a scale of 1-5 (1-easy 5 extremely hard) how would you rate this book?
    are there any other challenging textbooks on GR?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2006 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  4. May 18, 2006 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

neutrino, i too hope that someday i would have a spare time to read this monumental textbook. (that with the principia mathematica by russel and whitehead are hardcore texts in their respective fields).

5. May 29, 2006 #4
    Gravitation is the one that I studied, and I highly recommend. I have read Wald's book, and I don't think that it is as pedogagical as is Gravitation (though I have a slight bias).

Or you could look into PAM Dirac's "General Relativity", it's probably the hardest book I've read on General Relativity.

6. Aug 6, 2006 #5
    Wald's book is a tough nut, very terse and not very friendly, but it still has much material not found in other books.

I recently got Carroll's graduate text, and it's much more friendly than Wald. But I paid $70 for a used copy. :eek:

Can anyone claim to have read all of MTW? What a monster. Still a cool book to dip into now and then.

7. Aug 11, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find amusing what Wald said about the exercises in his book: ' ... and none (exercises) which are, in my opinion, inordinately difficult (i.e., I think I can solve them).'

This, from one of the world's leading experts on relativity!

Chapter 9 is worth the price of admission.

Not me.

It's sitting open on my desk as I type.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook