Gravitational Attraction Between Two Balls

• Thread starter mikejonesss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the gravitational attraction between two 6.3 kg balls with radii of .11m that are in contact with each other. The formula for calculating this attraction is Fg = G*m1*m2/ r^2. However, the person encountered difficulties when trying to plug in the given values and obtain the correct answer. They also mention another problem where the masses are given but the gravitational force must be found, with one mass being twice the other.
mikejonesss
two 6.3 kg balls with radii of .11m are in contact w/ each other. what is the gravitational attraction b/w the balls.

radius = .11m
mass = 6.3kg

Fg = G*m1*m2/ [tex] r^2 [/tex]

i just tried pluggging in the givens and somehow it's a trick question and i get the incorrect answer.
i shold be getting 5.47E-8.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
testttt,,,

Last edited:
What is the distance between the centres of mass of the balls?

hmm .11m x 2?

mikejonesss said:
hmm .11m x 2?
Look's good to me. If you do the arithmetic correctly, you should obtain the correct answer.

yes. thank you. i also had a problem where the Fg is given and you have to find the masses. one mass is twice the other.

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which physical objects with mass attract one another. It is described by the law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the force of gravity affect objects?

The force of gravity causes objects to accelerate towards each other. The larger the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force and the more it will accelerate towards other objects. This is why we experience the force of gravity as the weight of an object on Earth.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measurement of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measurement of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is typically measured in Newtons. On Earth, an object's weight is directly proportional to its mass due to the constant acceleration of gravity.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects in space?

In space, where there is no air resistance, gravity is the primary force that affects the motion of objects. The gravitational force between two objects will cause them to orbit each other, with the larger object having a smaller orbit. This is why planets orbit around the sun and moons orbit around planets.

5. What are some real-life applications of gravitation and dynamics?

Gravitation and dynamics play a crucial role in many fields, including astronomy, engineering, and physics. Some examples of real-life applications include space travel, satellite and spacecraft orbit calculations, bridge and building construction, and understanding the motion of objects on Earth and in space.