1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation Help

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I'm having trouble distinguishing the values of the components in the gravitation equation for the following problem:

Here is how I approached it -

The equations I will be using are:
    F = G*M*m/r^2
    W=KE
    [tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}m v^2[/tex]

So first off, I solved for the force using the gravitation equation -
    G constant = 6.67e-11 Nm^2/kg^2
    M (of star) = 1.14*10^32 kg
    m (of rocket) = 1.25*10^6 kg
    r = now this is where my question is. :yuck: The problem says that r is the distance between the centers of the two bodies. So, I assumed that it's the radius given 3.48*10^9 m added to the distance between the rocket and the star (1.85*10^11 m) and then squared. Is this correct? Or is it just supposed to be the radius of the star squared?

After that first assumption, I plugged the force value I found into
    [tex]W=F*cos(\theta)(delta x)[/tex]
    which brings me to the second question. Is the delta x value = 1.85*10^11 m?

Then, I plugged that value I found for W into [tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}m v^2[/tex], where m=1.25*10^6.

Is this a correct approach and did I assume anything wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The gravitational force is a function of r. Which means that you need to integrate in order to find the work done by this force on the rocket in pulling it towards the star.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?