Weightlessness in Space: Understanding the Concept and Its Effects on Astronauts

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Can you please clarify?I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Can you please clarify?
sarthak sharma

Homework Statement

If two bodies, each of mass M and radius R, initially r (r>>>R) distant away from each other start approaching each other with negligible speed then what is their speed which they collide??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

initial energy,IE = (-G m^2) / r

final energy,FE = { (-G m^2) / 2R } + (1/2) m v^2

solving...

v = ( 2Gm [ (1/2R) - (1/r) ] ) ^ (1/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question?

Likes sarthak sharma
nasu said:
Do you have a question?
the answer that i got doesn't matches with that of my book...
i don't know what wrong step i have done...
pleasez help me if u can...

What is the answer in the book?
Yours looks OK to me. Only that should be M and not m.

Likes sarthak sharma
Hello sarthak sharma,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :)

sarthak sharma said:

Homework Statement

If two bodies, each of mass M and radius R, initially r (r>>>R) distant away from each other start approaching each other with negligible speed then what is their speed which they collide??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

initial energy,IE = (-G m^2) / r

final energy,FE = { (-G m^2) / 2R } + (1/2) m v^2

solving...

v = ( 2Gm [ (1/2R) - (1/r) ] ) ^ (1/2)

Yep*.

*(By that I mean, "yes, it looks correct to me.")

[Edit: On further thought, strike that. See posts below.]

Last edited:
nasu said:
What is the answer in the book?
Yours looks OK to me. Only that should be M and not m.

yup its M only i typed it wrong by mistake...
in my book it shows
v = ( Gm [ (1/2R) - (1/r) ] ) ^ (1/2)
i.e. 2 is not there and it gives a reason for this and according to it we should count the KE of both bodies while calculating the final energy that is it should be 2*(1/2) m v^2 in place of (1/2) m v^2

btw i was also a bit confident that i was right and the stuff in my book is wrong so thanks for ur support
but pls do for once look out for the reason by the book as above

Yes, I think they are right. I did not pay enough attention to your derivation.

nasu said:
but pls can u tell me that why should we count KE of both...?

nasu said:
if we needed to count the KE for both then why should we don't count the PE for both...?

pleasez clarify my doubt asap i m very much confused by now...

sarthak sharma said:
yup its M only i typed it wrong by mistake...
in my book it shows
v = ( Gm [ (1/2R) - (1/r) ] ) ^ (1/2)
i.e. 2 is not there and it gives a reason for this and according to it we should count the KE of both bodies while calculating the final energy that is it should be 2*(1/2) m v^2 in place of (1/2) m v^2

btw i was also a bit confident that i was right and the stuff in my book is wrong so thanks for ur support
but pls do for once look out for the reason by the book as above

Right. If the frame of reference is the initial velocity (recall, initially, the bodies had negligible speed) then yes, you need to consider the kinetic energy of both bodies. On the other hand if you were calculating the relative velocity (the speed of one body with respect to the other), then your answer is correct. So it depends on the frame of reference. But what your book says makes sense.

[Edit: What I said above might be a little misleading. It's true that the frame of reference matters when considering velocities, but what I said about the answer being correct for relative velocity (the speed of one body with respect to the other) is not correct in this case. Sorry for the confusion.]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Right. If the frame of reference is the initial velocity (recall, initially, the bodies had negligible speed) then yes, you need to consider the kinetic energy of both bodies. On the other hand if you were calculating the relative velocity (the speed of one body with respect to the other), then your answer is correct. So it depends on the frame of reference. But what your book says makes sense.
pleasez can u explain a bit more cause i could not get you...

sarthak sharma said:
if we needed to count the KE for both then why should we don't count the PE for both...?
The potential energy already implies both bodies exist. The [itex] U = -\frac{GMm}{r} [/itex] formula is the potential energy of the system considering both bodies, [itex] m [/itex] and [itex] M [/itex].

The kinetic energy formula, [itex] T = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 [/itex] only considers mass [itex] m [/itex].

So if the frame of reference is neither of the two bodies then one must consider the kinetic energies of both bodies.

pleasez clarify my doubt asap i m very much confused by now...

Hang in there! :)

Looking at it another way, suppose the frame of reference moved with one of the bodies, or suppose that one of the bodies was held stationary somehow so that only the second body was allowed to move: in that case, your original answer is correct.

[Edit: Strike my comment about the frame of reference moving with one of the bodies. The part about one of the bodies held in place is okay though.]

But if the frame of reference was the initial frame, when the bodies were not moving, then you must consider the kinetic energies of both bodies since both of them are considered in motion. In that case your book's answer is correct.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
So if the frame of reference is neither of the two bodies then one must consider the kinetic energies of both bodies.
u know i m getting confused due to "frame of reference"

bro i don't have much knowledge but with just a limited knowledge i own...i think that frame of reference should not be applied in here as the bodies initially approach each other with negligible speed...

you know i don't have much and proper knowledge about initial frame of reference and how it is applied in different types of motion...

sarthak sharma said:
u know i m getting confused due to "frame of reference"

Yes, it can get confusing sometimes.

Just remember that velocity is always relative. It doesn't make sense to define a velocity without specifying what that velocity is relative to. Whatever has zero velocity is the frame of reference.

By extension, that means that kinetic energy is also relative. Things which have kinetic energy in one frame of reference might not have the same kinetic energy in other frames.

By the way, an inertial frame of reference is one that is not rotating, and is not accelerating. Picking one of the bodies as a frame of reference means the frame of reference is not an inertial frame, since both bodies are accelerating.

Your book's choice of picking the frame of references as the initial velocity frame is a good choice since it is an inertial frame. So while both answers are correct in a sense, in retrospect I prefer your book's answer.

hmm thanks collinsmark that one surely helped me...:)

Rereading my posts, I feel I need to make a clarification. Some of what I said might be a little misleading.

Your original answer is only correct if one of the bodies was held in place by some external force. But that's not part of the problem.

So go with your book's answer. That's a better way to approach the problem for more than one reason.

collinsmark said:
So go with your book's answer. That's a better way to approach the problem for more than one reason.
thanks for that...
can u plss help me out with this https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/small-query-about-weightlessness-in-space.5223/

What is Gravitation in a Collision?

Gravitation in a collision refers to the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass and distance from each other. When two objects collide, their gravitational forces interact and can affect the outcome of the collision.

How does Gravitation affect collisions?

Gravitation can affect collisions in several ways. If the objects involved have significant mass, their gravitational forces can cause them to accelerate towards each other, resulting in a more forceful collision. Additionally, the gravitational pull between the objects can alter their trajectories and change the direction of their motion.

Can Gravitation cause objects to stick together during a collision?

Yes, in some cases, gravitation can cause objects to stick together during a collision. This is because the force of attraction between the objects can overcome their initial velocities and bring them closer together, resulting in a merging of the two objects.

How does Gravitation in a Collision differ from other types of collisions?

Gravitation in a collision differs from other types of collisions, such as elastic or inelastic collisions, because it involves the force of gravity rather than just the forces of momentum and energy. In addition, gravitation can act on objects over long distances, whereas other types of collisions typically occur between objects in close proximity to each other.

Can Gravitation in a Collision be observed in everyday life?

Yes, gravitation in a collision can be observed in everyday life. For example, when a ball is thrown into the air, it will eventually fall back to the ground due to the force of gravity. Similarly, when a car collides with another car, their gravitational forces will interact and affect the outcome of the collision.