1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation physics homework

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataYour starship, the Aimless Wanderer, lands on the mysterious planet Mongo. As chief scientist-engineer, you make the following measurements: a 2.50-kg stone thrown upward from the ground at 11.0 returns to the ground in 9.00 ; the circumference of Mongo at the equator is 2.00×10^5 ; and there is no appreciable atmosphere on Mongo. I found the mass to be 3.71*10^25, now part B asks me for..."If the Aimless Wanderer goes into a circular orbit 3.00×104 above the surface of Mongo, how many hours will it take the ship to complete one orbit?"

2. Relevant equations F_g = (GM1M2)/R^2, g= GM/R^2, T^2=R^3, V=(2piR)/T

3. The attempt at a solution I attempt to use the propotions rule where (T1^2/R1^3) = (T2^2/R^3) using this i have to calculate the period of the planet some how. I figured in order to do this i must need velocity of the planet. if the mass of the ship was given i would also be able to solve the problem so i attempted to use the equation F_g=(GM1M2)/R^2 but do not know F_g, I thought maybe this was F=ma therefore F=(3.71*10^25)(2.44) (2.44 was solved for a using kinematics.) Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

At the given altitude,

Fc = GMm/(R+h)^2, where Fc = mw^2(R+h). Find w and hence T directly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?