1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation Potential Energy Help

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    Calculate the ratio of the energy that would be required to put a mass M into orbit near the earth's surface (if there were no friction) and the energy to put the same into distant space.

I'm stuck. How am i suppose to calculate the ratio. I know the that the energy to put M into orbit near the earth's surface would be a small positive energy while putting it into distant space would be a large positive energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The signs are purely conventional.Actually for gravitational potential energy,it is MINUS INSTEAD OF PLUS...
    The gravity field of a spherically symmetric celestial body (i.e.Earth) is CONSERVATIVE,which means u can apply the law of conservation of total energy.

Can u compute the energy required to put a mass into orbit near the surface of the Earth??

Daniel.

4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    There are no values given to me so i dont know how to compute it

5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    I'm not sure how to find the answer, but I can tell you this: Binding energy is the additional energy you have to supply a satellite (or anything in orbit) to escape the Earth's gravitational field. This is the formula for it:
    [tex]E_{binding}=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{2r}[/tex]

When a satellite is in orbit, it's total energy (total mechanical energy) is:
    [tex]E_{mechanical}=-\frac{Gm_1m_2}{2r}[/tex]

So I guess the ratio would be 1:1?

6. Jan 30, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not really.The second formula doesn't hold for bodies on the earth (which do not orbit,hence do not have KE),so i guess the OP is correct.The problem is missing some data...

Daniel.

7. Jan 30, 2005 #6
    Wouldn't the "r" be different values so I dont think they can be 1:1?
    I was thinking more like 1:1/r ratio would make sense.

8. Jan 31, 2005 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For near earth orbit:

[tex]mv^2/R = F = GMm/R^2[/tex]

Which is:
    (1)[tex]2KE = GMm/R[/tex]
    where KE is the kinetic energy of the orbiting body, which is just -1/2 * its gravitational potential at radius R.

The condition for distant space (escape) is:

[tex]PE \ge 0[/tex]

You should see from (1) that [itex]2KE_{orbit} + PE_{orbit} = 0[/itex], which means that the kinetic energy required for escape is ______ the KE for orbit. I think that should help you answer the question.

AM

9. Jan 31, 2005 #8
    So ratio would be 1:2?

10. Jan 31, 2005 #9

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean: Kinetic energy of escape = 2 KE of orbit, then yes.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?