Gravitation Problem Homework: Calculate Magnitude & Direction

• Thread starter Gauss177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, the problem involved four 8.0-kg spheres located at the corners of a square with side 0.50 m. The task was to calculate the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force on one sphere due to the other three. Using the equation F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2, the force of each sphere was determined, with B and C pulling on A with 1.71*10^-8 N and 8.54*10^-9 N respectively, and D pulling on A with the same force as B. To find the net force on A, it was recommended to draw a diagram and add the components of each force as vectors. Alternatively, the forces could be calculated as
Gauss177

Homework Statement

Four 8.0-kg spheres are located at the corners of a square of side 0.50 m. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force on one sphere due to the other three.

Homework Equations

F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I labeled each sphere as A, B, C, and D, like this:
B C

A D

I chose A as my "focus," and found the force B, C, and D pulls on A.

B pulls on A with: (6.67*10^-11)(8)(8) / .5^2 = 1.71*10^-8 N
C pulls on A with: (6.67*10^-11)(8)(8) / .707^2 = 8.54*10^-9 N
D pulls on A with: 1.71*10^-8 N

Is there anything wrong with the numbers above? I don't know what to do from here on to find the magnitude of the total gravitational force and the direction (an angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis) it acts in.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will probably help you to draw out a diagram of each force acting on A. Then you can see which components to add to find the net force.

You've found the magnitudes correctly, it seems (I haven't plugged your numbers into a calculator).

If you want a never-fail way to solve this kind of problem, find each force as a vector in unit vector form. Then add them up to find the net force on A. Granted, this could be a waste of time in your opinion, but at least it's consistent. If you don't understand what this means, you should learn it, as it helps you visualize what is going on.

**Edit**
I figured out the angle, and I end up with the right answer now. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

What is gravitation and how does it affect objects?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass and distance. Gravitation affects objects by pulling them towards each other, causing them to have a specific acceleration towards each other.

What is meant by magnitude and direction in terms of gravitation?

The magnitude of gravitation is the strength or intensity of the force between two objects. It is represented by the size of the force vector. The direction of gravitation is the line along which the force acts. It is represented by the direction of the force vector.

How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of gravitation?

To calculate the magnitude of gravitation, you can use the formula F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravitation, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. The direction of gravitation can be found by drawing a line from the center of one object to the center of the other object, and the direction of the force will be along that line.

What units are used to measure the magnitude and direction of gravitation?

The magnitude of gravitation is typically measured in units of newtons (N), while the direction is measured in degrees or radians. However, scientists often use the unit of gravitational constant (G) to simplify calculations and represent the magnitude and direction of gravitation together.

How does the mass and distance between two objects affect the magnitude and direction of gravitation?

The magnitude of gravitation is directly proportional to the masses of the two objects, meaning that the greater the masses, the stronger the force of gravitation between them. The direction of gravitation is dependent on the distance between the two objects, with a greater distance resulting in a weaker force and a smaller distance resulting in a stronger force.