1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation problem

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    I am having trouble solving this problem:

Three point particles are fixed in position in an xy plane. Two of them, particle A of mass 6.00g and particle B of mass 12.0g, are shown in Fig12-38 (the figure has A at the origin and B 30 degrees above the negative side of the x-axis) with a separation of dAB=.500m at angle 30 degrees. Particle C, with mass 8.00g, is not shown. The net gravitational force acting on particle A due to particles B and C is 2.77x10^-14N at an angle of -163.8 degrees from the positive direction of the x axis. What are (a) the x coordinate and (b) the y coordinate of particle C?

I tried to solve a system of two equations since the problem gave us Fnet=2.77x10^.14N and the angle=-163.8 degrees:
    Fnet=(Fx^2+Fy^2)^1/2 and Tan(0)=y/x
    but i sill could not find the solution.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

first get the force due to B on A... then from that get the force due to C on A...

once you have the force due to C on A... just use coordinates of C.. (x,y). what is the force of C on A in terms of x and y (set this force equal to the force you got above)... you'll get 2 equations in 2 unknowns.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?