Solve Gravitation Problem between Earth & Sun

• Thread starter kim3648
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, to find the point between Earth and the sun where the net gravitational force is zero, you need to use the equation for gravitational force and set it equal to zero. This involves taking into account the masses and distances of both the Earth and the sun. You can also use an arbitrary mass for the object and solve for the distance from the sun. It is important to know the exact distance between the Earth and the sun to accurately solve this problem.
kim3648
Gravitation Problem :(

Question:
Find the point between Earth and the sun at which an object can be placed so that the net gravitational force exerted by Earth and the sun on an object is zero.

Earth's mass: 5.98x10^24 kg
Earth's radius: 6.38x10^6 m

Sun's mass: 1.991x10^30 kg
Sun's radius: 6.96x10^8 m

I know I have to use the equation for gravitational force:
F=G(m1m2/r^2)

So at this point I'm lost. Do I make up a mass for the object and figure out the force for Earth and the sun separately? Do I put the values for the sun and Earth into one equation and set the force equal to zero? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
take any arbitrary mass m and go from there.

So I found the sun and the Earth's respective gravitational forces...
How would I go about finding the point where they equal zero?

Show us your calculations.

this question is complete, for this you should must knew about the distance between sun and earth...
as this distance keeps changes therefore first notify the exact distance for which you want the answer.ok
well according to me ans should be
(y-x)(332943.1438)=x

where y means distance between Earth and sun

and x means distance of object from sun...
therefore after putting value of "y" you will get value of "x" and after it you can easily find distance between object and Earth too

What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity between Earth and Sun?

The formula for calculating the force of gravity between Earth and Sun is F = G * (m1 * m2) / d2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of Earth and Sun respectively, and d is the distance between them.

What is the value of the gravitational constant (G)?

The gravitational constant (G) is a physical constant with a value of 6.67408 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2. It is used in the formula for calculating the force of gravity between two objects.

How does the distance between Earth and Sun affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity between Earth and Sun is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force of gravity decreases. So, the farther away Earth is from the Sun, the weaker the force of gravity between them.

What is the significance of the force of gravity between Earth and Sun?

The force of gravity between Earth and Sun is responsible for keeping Earth in its orbit around the Sun. It also affects the tides on Earth and is crucial for maintaining the balance and stability of our solar system.

How does the mass of an object affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that as the mass of either object increases, the force of gravity between them also increases. So, the larger the mass of Earth or Sun, the stronger the force of gravity between them.