1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation question

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please give an example when the following condition is true-
    Gravitational Potential is zero and gravitational field intensity is non-zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think of a spacecraft travelling from earth to moon.

AM

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    Thank you.:smile:

5. Oct 31, 2009 #4
    Please explain in detail about this.How will gravitational potential become zero and gravitational
    field is non-zero??

6. Oct 31, 2009 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Work out the potential of an object that is in between earth and moon at a distance of 81.25 times closer to the moon than to the earth. Work out the force on the object at that point.

AM

7. Nov 1, 2009 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I may have misled you. The gravitational force can be zero where there is non-zero potential. But I don't think you can have zero gravitational potential and still have a gravitational force.

At the point which I suggested between the earth and moon, the potential will not be zero. My error. The potential will always be less than zero. The only place where gravitational potential is zero is an infinite distance from any gravitating body.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook