1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation: Satellite Orbits

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two satellites are launched at a distance R from a planet of negligible radius. Both satellites are launched in the tangential direction. The first satellite launches correctly at a speed v0 and enters a circular orbit. The second satellite, however, is launched at a speed .5v0. what is the minimum distance between the second satellite and the planet over the course of its orbit?

R=launch radius, r=minimum radius, v=velocity at minimum radius

2. Relevant equations
    F=GMm/R^2
    U= -GMm/R
    K=.5mv^2
    mvr= const. (conservation of angular momentum)
    K+U=const. (conservation of energy)

3. The attempt at a solution

GM= R(v0)^2
    v0R/2 = vr, v = (v0R)/(2r)
    .5m(.5v0)^2 - GM (m/R) = .5m(v^2) - GM (m/r)

Substituting in values and solving for r doesn't lead me to the answer. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, slai13. Welcome to PF!

Everything looks good to me. Assuming your algebra is correct, I think you should get the right answer. Can you tell us what you got?

4. Jan 1, 2013 #3
    Sorry to have wasted your time.

I worked out the quadratic equation and got R/7 and R. R/7, I'm sure, is the minimum I'm looking for. Thanks!

5. Jan 1, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem. Good work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook