Gravitation waves and post-newtonian approximation

• I
  • Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
Hello,
I would like to ask, if somebody knows anything about comparison post-newtonian approximation of gravitational waves and these which were detected. Or generally post-newtonian predictions vs. facts found in detection. I tried find some article but I didn't find. Please let me know what you know or refer me, please.

Thank you everyone.

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
Post-newtonian means ? As far as I know it means General Relativity, which is the theory behind gravitational waves.

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hello,
I would like to ask, if somebody knows anything about comparison post-newtonian approximation of gravitational waves and these which were detected. Or generally post-newtonian predictions vs. facts found in detection. I tried find some article but I didn't find. Please let me know what you know or refer me, please.

Thank you everyone.

I think there's some discussion of the PPN approximation for gravitational waves in Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, "Gravitation". I think I recall some fine points about PPN and insprials, something about PPN being good enough if the orbit didn't decay, but not quite good enough when it did. I don't have time to look it up at the moment though.