1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Accelaration

1. Mar 2, 2006 #1
    If an object were discovered oriting at a radius of 3*10^6 m, what would be the time that it would take to complete one orbit around the sun?
    So I know I need to use the following equation:

T^2/R^3 = 4pie^2/GM

but do I use the radius they gave me or do I have to add that radius to the the radius of the sun to get R?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2006 #2
    check your radius .... it seems to be smaller then the radius of the sun!!

4. Mar 2, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The radius in the formula is the radius of the circle of the orbit. However, the Sun's radius is quite a bit more than 3 million meters (The Earth's radius is 6 million meters)!

If this is exactly how the question is stated, the the question is flawed. Perhaps the problem was intended to be 3 million meters above the surface of the sun. In that case you would add 3*10^6 to the Sun's radius of 6.96*10^8 meters, which would be 6.99*10^8 meters. This is almost insignificant, but it would be my assumption as to what the intent of the question was.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?