What is the relationship between kinetic energy and gravitational acceleration?

In summary, the data in the pictures suggest that the slope of KE/m vs. y is the gravitational acceleration -g. To determine the mathematical equation for my data analysis, I used Loss in GPE = gain in KE. Then, by substituting in the values and doing some algebra, I was able to find that KE/m = -g.
Makali
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
Hello.

I am in a 100 level physics college course and we are learning about conservation of energy. I am working with a program called Logger Pro. I've attached my data in the pictures. Here is a question that I am very much stuck on.

Using the Law of Conservation of Energy, show that the slope of KE/m vs. y is the gravitational acceleration -g

I also need to figure out gravitational acceleration +/- uncertainty.

If more information is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help! <3

Attachments

• Pendulum.png
    Pendulum.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 461
  • Freefall.png
    Freefall.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
Makali said:
Hello.

I am in a 100 level physics college course and we are learning about conservation of energy. I am working with a program called Logger Pro. I've attached my data in the pictures. Here is a question that I am very much stuck on.

Using the Law of Conservation of Energy, show that the slope of KE/m vs. y is the gravitational acceleration -g

I also need to figure out gravitational acceleration +/- uncertainty.

If more information is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help! <3

Hi, welcome to PF!

From what I can see, your data and graphs plotted have indeed shown that KE/M is -g, so I'm not sure what you are asking for exactly. Are you asking for mathematical proof?

I am just confused on what I need to write in my lab report to be honest. Like, is Using the Law of Conservation of Energy, show that the slope of KE/m vs. y is the gravitational acceleration -g, the slope plus the uncertainty in one of the graphs? I'm just confused haha

Using the Law of Conservation of Energy, show that the slope of KE/m vs. y is the gravitational acceleration -g: I also need to figure out a mathematical equation for my data analysis section.

Makali said:
I am just confused on what I need to write in my lab report to be honest. Like, is Using the Law of Conservation of Energy, show that the slope of KE/m vs. y is the gravitational acceleration -g, the slope plus the uncertainty in one of the graphs? I'm just confused haha
Ah okay

For your lab report i think you need to use mathematical formulae to prove that first, then say it is supported by your data

Consider using: Loss in GPE = gain in KE

Is that the slope and uncertainty of one of the graphs?

What mathematical formula can I use to answer
Using the Law of Conservation of Energy, show that the slope of KE/m vs. y is the gravitational acceleration -g:

Makali said:
What mathematical formula can I use to answer
:

This:
Alloymouse said:
Consider using: Loss in GPE = gain in KE

I presume you know how KE and GPE are computed (1/2 mv^2, mgh)?

From there you should be able to do some quick algebra and swap the variables around to get KE/m = -g

For uncertainty, I believe you might find googling "fractional uncertainties" and "how to calculate uncertainty in an equation" helpful

Thank you.

Likes Alloymouse

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration, denoted by the symbol "g", is a physical constant that represents the acceleration of an object due to the force of gravity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) and varies depending on the mass and distance between two objects. On Earth's surface, the average gravitational acceleration is approximately 9.8 m/s².

2. How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

Gravitational acceleration can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for gravitational acceleration is g = G * M / r², where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of one of the objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What factors affect gravitational acceleration?

The two main factors that affect gravitational acceleration are the mass of the two objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects, the stronger the force of gravity and therefore the greater the acceleration. Similarly, the closer the objects are to each other, the stronger the force of gravity and the greater the acceleration.

4. Does gravitational acceleration vary on different planets?

Yes, gravitational acceleration varies on different planets and celestial bodies. This is because the mass and distance of the objects involved are different. For example, the gravitational acceleration on the moon is approximately 1.6 m/s², while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s².

5. How does gravitational acceleration affect objects in free fall?

Gravitational acceleration is responsible for the motion of objects in free fall, such as a ball dropped from a height. As an object falls, it accelerates towards the center of the Earth at a rate of 9.8 m/s². This means that for every second the object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 m/s. Without air resistance, objects in free fall will continue to accelerate towards the ground until they reach terminal velocity.