Gravitational compression work

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning and interpretation of the expression $$p = \frac{nRT}{V} \implies W = \Delta U - Q = - Q = -\int_{\frac{4}{3}\pi r_0^3}^{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3} \frac{nRT}{V} dV$$ in the context of a protostar surrounded by vacuum. It is suggested that the compression of a gas is a simpler way to solve the problem rather than integrating the change in gravitational energy. The concept of heat being a path-dependent variable is also brought up, but it is noted that the overall change in heat and work must be equal for a reversible process
etotheipi
Homework Statement
A spherical cloud of interstellar gas (which can be considered to be ideal) collapses under its own gravity. During much of the collapse, the star can be considered to be at the same temperature as its surroundings, ##T##. Calculate the heat radiated away during collapse from a radius ##r_0## to ##r##.
Relevant Equations
N/A
When I did this the first time I didn't really think too much about it, so I just wrote$$p = \frac{nRT}{V} \implies W = \Delta U - Q = - Q = -\int_{\frac{4}{3}\pi r_0^3}^{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3} \frac{nRT}{V} dV$$That turned out to be correct, but when I thought about it I didn't understand why this expression would be meaningful. The external pressure to the protostar is presumably zero, since the thing is surrounded by vacuum, so the PV-work on the protostar will be zero. What is really responsible for the generated heat is the work done by gravity/decrease in gravitational self energy, ##\Delta U_g = \frac{3GM}{5}\Delta \frac{1}{r}##.

So I wondered how do we actually interpret the thermodynamic result at the top? Furthermore in an actual gravitational collapse the pressure is dependent on the radial coordinate, but in the top it's assumed to be uniform. The resultant pressure force on any spherical shell also won't equal the gravitational force on that shell. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I maybe wrong, but if you assume the initial and the final states are equilibrium states and the process is reversible (probably assumed here), then thermodynamics tells you that the way you get from one state to the other is irrelevant. So, instead of the complicate problem of integrating the change in gravitational energy, you just solve the equivalent problem of the compression of a gas.

Likes etotheipi
dRic2 said:
I maybe wrong, but if you assume the initial and the final states are equilibrium states and the process is reversible (probably assumed here), then thermodynamics tells you that the way you get from one state to the other is irrelevant. So, instead of the complicate problem of integrating the change in gravitational energy, you just solve the equivalent problem of the compression of a gas.

Thanks, that's a good insight. I am aware that heat is not a state function and is then generally path-dependent, but do you say that the heat exchanged for all reversible paths is the same, between two identical states?

Suppose you go from A to B with a reversible process, and then you go back from B to A with a different but still reversible process. ##\Delta U_{A, A} = 0## (since you came back to where you started). This implies ##\Delta U_{AB} + \Delta U_{BA} = 0##. Now ##\Delta U = \int \delta q - \int pdv##, so the heat and the work exchanged in the two processes can be different but the overall sum has to be the same since you came back to the same point ##\Delta U_{A,A} = 0##.

So for example, you can "design" a way to go from A to B such that ##\Delta U_{A,B} = \Delta Q##, and then you can imagine a process to go back from B to A such that ##\Delta U_{B, A} = - \int pdv##. Overall, since ##\Delta U_{A, A} = 0##, you get ## \Delta Q - \int pdv = 0##. In this way, instead of calculating the heat exchanged in the first process directly you could calculate the work done in the other process.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
I am not sure if helps, but we can get the same results if we imagine such collapse as a reversible process, i don't think is so bad imagine it, if the collapse is too slow.

dS = dq/T

When we have T constant, dS can be written as:

1597683539205.png

1597682747549.png

1597682863695.png

The heat could be seen as an addendum to the entropy change consequence.

Attachments

• 1597682769863.png
    1597682769863.png
    629 bytes · Views: 104
  • 1597683469907.png
    1597683469907.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 91

1. What is gravitational compression work?

Gravitational compression work refers to the energy required to compress a material against the force of gravity. This can occur when a material is being compressed vertically, such as in the formation of stars and planets.

2. How does gravitational compression work affect the formation of celestial bodies?

Gravitational compression work plays a crucial role in the formation of celestial bodies, such as stars and planets. As gas and dust particles are pulled together by gravity, they undergo compression work, releasing energy and eventually forming into a dense, hot object.

3. What factors influence the amount of gravitational compression work?

The amount of gravitational compression work depends on the mass and size of the object being compressed, as well as the distance over which the compression occurs. The stronger the force of gravity and the larger the object, the more energy is required for compression work.

4. How is gravitational compression work related to potential energy?

Gravitational compression work is directly related to potential energy, as it involves the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy. As an object is compressed, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases.

5. Can gravitational compression work be harnessed for practical use?

While gravitational compression work is an important process in the formation of celestial bodies, it is not currently harnessed for practical use on Earth. However, scientists are exploring ways to use gravitational compression to generate energy in the future, such as through controlled fusion reactions.