Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational constant

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    I'm asking myself, what influences the gravitational constant? Our universe must somehow have characteristics that have a certain mathematical relation which leads to this value... Have any papers been written on the matter?
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2
    a lot of information on the gravitational constant can be found by doing a google search on "gravitational constant".

one link:

discusses experiments measuring possible rate of changes in the change per year in the value of the Universal Gravitational constant.

the abs[(dG/dt/G)/G] has been shown to be less than 1^10^-15 per year!
    from experiments discussed at this link.

love and peace,
    peace and love,
    (kirk) kirk gregory czuhai
  4. May 8, 2005 #3
    thats very interesting. Are there any similar ideas about Epsilon naught and Mu naught? Is there a relationship between all three that shows how they are dependant on each other? Then again, if Epsilon naught and Mu naught can change then the speed of light can too. What if a change in G is exactly compensated with changes in Epsilon and Mu in a way that keeps C constant?
  5. May 11, 2005 #4
    I won't say its absolutely impossible. but how reasonable does that sound to you?
  6. May 12, 2005 #5
    well, it does sound reasonable to me because I believe there is more to understand about how reality operates. I think that maybe what we've concluded with so far is severely lacking something that puts consistancy between the two main fields of study: GR and QM. So I look for anything that may offer some kind of insight.
  7. May 12, 2005 #6
    In this particular case, I guess it's not really GR and QM but rather electromagnetism and gravity... Thats another thing I have a problem with, I don't like how when we can't understand how something works, we make up a new force to explain it (strong and weak forces). I know that there is a problem with them not being there, but I hate the line of thought that action at a distance can't be true, so people invent gluons and gravitons... I just think there are too many loose ends (hanging from the blimp that is physics) that can get caught on trees and bring things to a hault... Too many holes in the boat that is physics and the bilge pumps can't compensate for taking in so much water.
  8. May 12, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you had a look at the various String Theory/M-Theory summary/review papers? Ditto, the LQG ones? Other than rank speculation, I can't think of where else you'd find any :eek:
    Leaving aside certain inaccuracies (or maybe 'imprecisions' would be a better word) in this, I have a challenge for you .... if you don't like it, how about doing something about it? After all, physics is quite open when it comes to considering new approaches! (Just be sure to show how your ideas would be consistent with good experimental and observational results :smile: )
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?