1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Distribution

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

Problem ; Why a car consumes different amounts of fuel on two different roads with same characteristics only with different locations ?

Assumptions;

-Amounts of fuel consumed, lengths and slopes of two roads are measured precisely.
    -Two roads are built from the identical material thus friction force is same in both.
    -Car has the same load including driver in both two measurements.
    -Identical fuels are used in both two measurements.
    -Car was driven with identical characteristics in two measurements.

Surely there might be other parameters that needs to be considered for performing such a comparison but these are the ones that comes to my mind mainly.

My potential explainations ;

1- Gravitational distribution on Earth or object due to space is not homogeneous ?

2- Different altitudes have different pressure values that can directly/indirectly effect the operation of the internal combustion engine

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2012 #2
    Wind. Temperature (of air, tyres, road). Humidity.

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3
    Temperature is the same as well.

Wind and humidity ; up to what percentage can these parameters be effective ?

Let's say 10lt/100km for no wind and humidity is at reference cell.

What would the average wind and average humidity correspond to in liters/kilometers ?

5. Aug 19, 2012 #4
    For wind, much depends on the shape of the car and the direction and the strength of wind. It is not entirely implausible to speculate that it is possible for a car arrive at its destination by wind alone.

I am less sure about the temperature and humidity, this will require a careful analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook