Gravitational Energy: Field x Moment

In summary, the answer is that you can't express gravitational energy in terms of a moment, or as a product of a gravitational field and mass.
jaumzaum
Hello!
I was wondering if it is possible to express the gravitational energy as a product of the gravitational field by a moment, as we do with the magnetic and electric energy? Would this require the existence of bodies with negative mass? How could we relate this to the existence or total energy of a gravitational wave?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The source term for gravitational radiation is a time varying quadropole moment, if that's what you mean. There's no dipole term possible because mass is always positive.

As far as I'm aware the only time an energy of the gravitational field is completely well defined is in the stationary case, which is just the gravitational potential. But by definition a changing quadropole moment is not stationary, so I don't think this applies.

Moderator's note: Moved thread to relativity forum.

Likes Delta2
jaumzaum said:
I was wondering if it is possible to express the gravitational energy as a product of the gravitational field by a moment

You mean can we take U = mgh and arrange it like so: U = g(mh)? Sure. But why?

jaumzaum said:
Hello!
I was wondering if it is possible to express the gravitational energy as a product of the gravitational field by a moment, as we do with the magnetic and electric energy? Would this require the existence of bodies with negative mass? How could we relate this to the existence or total energy of a gravitational wave?

We've got about three different restricted definitions of energy in GR that I'm aware of, which in general are derived from the metric, and not from a 'gravitational field', which is a bit vague. These are due to Bondi, ADM, and Komarr, and none of them are in the form of mgh, which I am guessing what you mean by the product of a field (g) and a moment (mh). So I'd venture to say the answer is "no".

Most of the definitions we have of energy require asymptotic flatness, so they don't apply to an infinite expanding universe. Komarr's defintion is linked to Noether's theorem, which arose from Hilbert's investigations into energy in GR, and requires time translation symmetry. It also doesn't apply to an infinite expanding universe.

Likes PAllen

1. What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the potential energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that an object has by virtue of its mass and its distance from a gravitational source, such as a planet or a star.

2. How is gravitational energy related to the gravitational field?

Gravitational energy is directly related to the strength of the gravitational field. The stronger the gravitational field, the more potential energy an object has. This means that an object will have more gravitational energy if it is closer to a massive object with a strong gravitational field, such as a planet or a star.

3. What is the difference between gravitational field and gravitational moment?

Gravitational field and gravitational moment are related concepts, but they are not the same thing. Gravitational field is a measure of the strength of the gravitational force between two objects, while gravitational moment is a measure of the torque, or rotational force, that a gravitational field exerts on an object.

4. How is gravitational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational energy is E = mgh, where E is the energy in joules, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, and h is the height of the object in meters. This formula assumes a constant gravitational field.

5. Can gravitational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. For example, when an object falls from a height, its gravitational energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed. Similarly, gravitational energy can be converted into thermal energy when an object is pulled towards a massive object, such as a black hole, and experiences intense friction and heating.