Gravitational field in a hollow sphere

In summary, the justification for the gravitational field inside a uniform hollow sphere being zero relies on the principle of Gauss's law, which is equivalent to the electrostatic version. This means that at any given point inside the sphere, the gravitational forces from the masses on either side of the point cancel out due to their inverse square dependence on distance. This can also be visualized by imagining cones extending from the point to portions of the surface, which will have unequal areas due to the inverse square dependence, but will result in equal and opposite forces that cancel each other out. This concept can also be applied to magnetic force.
maddys_daddy
Can someone please give me a qualitative justification for the gravitational field inside a uniform hollow sphere being zero? I'm having a lot of trouble understanding this. Prof. said (in class) not to worry about the higher order polynomials involved, just be concerned with it "qualitatively" at this point. I'm lost.
Thanks,
m_d

Physics news on Phys.org
maddys_daddy said:
Can someone please give me a qualitative justification for the gravitational field inside a uniform hollow sphere being zero? I'm having a lot of trouble understanding this. Prof. said (in class) not to worry about the higher order polynomials involved, just be concerned with it "qualitatively" at this point. I'm lost.
Thanks,
m_d

You did not indicate what level of physics you already have. So, I have no idea if what I will say here makes any sense to you.

There is a Gauss's law equivalent for gravitational field. So if you have seen gauss's law applied to electrostatic, you should understand the identical principle applied to gravitational field. So apply that.

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/GausssLaw.html

Zz.

Qualitatively, think of it like this: At any given point inside the sphere, there is x amount of mass to the right in the shape of a bowl, and 1-x amount of mass to the left in the shape of a shperical shell missing a bowl shaped cap. These two complementary portions have centers of mass at let's say rx and r1-x. Then, qualitatively, you can imagine that rx < r1-x by just such an amount that:

x/rx2 = (1-x)/r1-x2.

It would probably help to draw a picture.

Qualitatively, you're supposed to realize that Fgrav is larger for larger amounts of mass and smaller at larger distances away from the mass. So, qualitatively, you can imagine that the effect of more mass (1-x) is canceled by the effect of further away (r1-x).

Attachments

• qualitative_g_shell.gif
    qualitative_g_shell.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
turin,
Thanks, I think I can understand that. However, when I click on the link to your .gif, I get a "you need to login to view this" message--well, I am! Oh, well, I'll take that up with the admins.
ZapperZ, FWIW, I'm in first year college physics for engineers (PHYS141 @ UoArizona). Next semester is my Electricity and Magnetism. So I have no idea what Gauss' law is, but I guess I'll find out.
Thanks for the help!

From any point inside the sphere, imagine a cone extending to a portion of the surface. Now extend that cone back to the opposite side of the sphere. If your point is not exactly at the center, your two cones will not intersect equal areas (and, so, not equal masses) because area is proportional to the square of the distance. HOWEVER, since gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, the gravitational force from each of those portions of the surface will be the same. Since they are in opposite directions, the two equal but opposite forces cancel. The total gravitational force is 0.

(The same thing is true of magnetic force as well.)

I like HallsofIvy's explanation better than mine. It more clearly incorporates the inverse square dependence.

1. What is a gravitational field in a hollow sphere?

A gravitational field in a hollow sphere is a region in space where the force of gravity is exerted on objects due to the presence of a massive body, such as a planet or star, within the sphere.

2. How is a gravitational field in a hollow sphere different from that of a solid sphere?

A gravitational field in a hollow sphere is different from that of a solid sphere because the mass is concentrated at the center of the hollow sphere, resulting in a constant gravitational field throughout the sphere. In a solid sphere, the gravitational field varies depending on the distance from the center.

3. What is the equation for calculating the gravitational field in a hollow sphere?

The equation for calculating the gravitational field in a hollow sphere is G(M/r^2), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

4. How does the gravitational field change as you move closer or further from the center of a hollow sphere?

The gravitational field in a hollow sphere remains constant as you move closer or further from the center, as long as you remain within the sphere. However, once you move outside of the sphere, the gravitational field decreases as the distance from the center increases.

5. What is the significance of the gravitational field in a hollow sphere?

The gravitational field in a hollow sphere is significant because it helps to explain the motion of objects within the sphere, such as planets in our solar system. It also helps to understand the distribution of mass within the sphere and its impact on the force of gravity.