Gravitational field in the galaxy and Schwarzschild´s time dilation

In summary, a gravitational field in the galaxy is a region of space where the force of gravity is present due to the mass of objects within that region. The strength of this field is measured by the acceleration of objects falling freely within it, which can be calculated using Newton's law of gravitation. Schwarzschild's time dilation, predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, states that time passes at a slower rate in regions of strong gravitational field. The presence of a black hole, an extremely dense object with a strong gravitational pull, can significantly affect the gravitational field in the galaxy and cause extreme time dilation. And finally, the strength of the gravitational field in the galaxy can change over time due to the movements and interactions of objects within
Ennio
Is it possible to estimate the gravitational force of the center of a Galaxy (it could be Andromeda or the Milky way) to any point (such as a planet) of its Orbit? Furthermore is there such as Schwarzschild solution that calculates the time dilation of any point of an external Galaxy (e.g. Andromeda) to the earth? Thank you in adv.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ennio said:
Is it possible to estimate the gravitational force of the center of a Galaxy (it could be Andromeda or the Milky way) to any point (such as a planet) of its Orbit?

Sure. You find the mass contained within the region you're interested in defining as the center, and then you apply regular gravitational laws.

Ennio said:
Furthermore is there such as Schwarzschild solution that calculates the time dilation of any point of an external Galaxy (e.g. Andromeda) to the earth?

I don't know anything about a Schwarzschild solution, but calculating the amount of time dilation between ourselves and any other visible point is certainly possible in principle. I believe you can get a back of the envelope calculation that's reasonably accurate without too much difficulty.

Drakkith said:
Sure. You find the mass contained within the region you're interested in defining as the center, and then you apply regular gravitational laws.

Could you link me a concrete calculation from PhysicsForums or from an external source?

I would if I knew of a source that explicitly stated the calculations. But unfortunately I do not know of one. I just know the basics of how you would go about doing it.

1. What is a gravitational field in the galaxy?

A gravitational field in the galaxy is a region of space where the force of gravity is present due to the mass of objects within that region. In the galaxy, the gravitational field is primarily caused by the large concentrations of mass in stars, planets, and other celestial bodies.

2. How is the strength of the gravitational field in the galaxy measured?

The strength of the gravitational field in the galaxy is measured by the acceleration of objects falling freely within that field. This can be calculated using Newton's law of gravitation, which states that the strength of the gravitational field is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is Schwarzschild's time dilation?

Schwarzschild's time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that time passes at a slower rate in a region of strong gravitational field. This means that clocks in a strong gravitational field will appear to run slower when compared to clocks in a weaker gravitational field.

4. How does the presence of a black hole affect the gravitational field in the galaxy?

A black hole is an extremely dense object with a strong gravitational pull that can significantly affect the gravitational field in the galaxy. The presence of a black hole can distort the surrounding space-time, leading to a stronger gravitational field and causing objects nearby to experience extreme time dilation.

5. Can the strength of the gravitational field in the galaxy change over time?

Yes, the strength of the gravitational field in the galaxy can change over time due to the movements and interactions of objects within it. For example, as stars and planets move and orbit within the galaxy, the gravitational field in certain regions may become stronger or weaker depending on the distribution of mass within that region.