Gravitational field line

• Thread starter nilic1
  • Start date
Where on an imaginary gravitational field line between Earth and moon, a mass would have no weight neither due Earth nor due to moon?

Answers and Replies

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
If you mean when the gravitational force is zero, then you just need to equate

FEarth and FMoon for a mass m and solve for the distance.

If you mean when the gravitational force is zero, then you just need to equate

FEarth and FMoon for a mass m and solve for the distance.

Thanks for your reply. This was meant to be a straight forward answer without any calculation.
Since the gravity of the moon is 1/6 that of Earth , does it follow that the distance where there is no gravity on the object is 1/6 the distance between moon and Earth, starting off from the moon?

Last edited:
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
No, that 1/6 figure is only true about the surface gravity of the Earth vs. the surface gravity of the moon. It is not applicable everywhere in space.

I think you really do need to set up an equation using the equation for gravitational force. At least, I can't imagine solving it any other way.

No, that 1/6 figure is only true about the surface gravity of the Earth vs. the surface gravity of the moon. It is not applicable everywhere in space.

I think you really do need to set up an equation using the equation for gravitational force. At least, I can't imagine solving it any other way.

Thanks for you answer. I did as you both suggested. The final answer is 1/10 the total distance starting from the centre of the moon.

Regards