1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational field line

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    Where on an imaginary gravitational field line between Earth and moon, a mass would have no weight neither due Earth nor due to moon?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If you mean when the gravitational force is zero, then you just need to equate

FEarth and FMoon for a mass m and solve for the distance.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply. This was meant to be a straight forward answer without any calculation.
    Since the gravity of the moon is 1/6 that of Earth , does it follow that the distance where there is no gravity on the object is 1/6 the distance between moon and Earth, starting off from the moon?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that 1/6 figure is only true about the surface gravity of the Earth vs. the surface gravity of the moon. It is not applicable everywhere in space.

I think you really do need to set up an equation using the equation for gravitational force. At least, I can't imagine solving it any other way.

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    Thanks for you answer. I did as you both suggested. The final answer is 1/10 the total distance starting from the centre of the moon.

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook