1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational field problem

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin hemispherical shell of mass M and radius R is placed as shown in figure. The magnitude of gravitational field at P due to the hemispherical shell is ##I_0##. The magnitude of gravitational field at Q due to thin hemispherical shell is given by

A)##I_0/2##

B)##I_0##

C)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0##

D)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+I_0##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried the problem using spherical coordinates and ended up with some messy integrals. Since this is an exam problem, I wonder if I really need to solve those integrals as it would take a lot of time. (I solved the integrals using Wolfram Alpha and the result was not nice so I immediately dropped the approach.) I believe there is a shorter way to solve this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a much faster way. You can picture the field due to the hemisphere as the sum of the field from a whole sphere and the field from an imaginary hemisphere of mass -M covering the lower half of the sphere.

4. Dec 30, 2013 #3
    Hi Dick! :)

I consider a sphere of radius R and mass 2M.

The field at P is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+E_{-M}=I_0=E_M$$

where ##E_{-M}## represents field at P due to the imaginary hemisphere of mass -M and ##E_M## represents the field at P due to hemisphere of mass M.

The field at Q is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+E'_{-M}$$

where ##E'_{-M}## is the field at Q due to imaginary hemisphere of mass -M.

Since ##E'_{-M}=-E_M=-I_0##, the field at Q is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0$$

Is this correct?

5. Dec 30, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Pranav-Arora! Yes, that's correct. This sort of a method is called 'using superposition'. For sort of obvious reasons.

6. Dec 30, 2013 #5
    Yes, I have heard of this method, thanks a lot Dick! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted