1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Field Question

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 12 kg meteor experiences an acceleration of 7.2 m/s^2, when falling towards the earth.

a.) How high above the earth's surface is the meteor?

b.) What force will a 30 kg meteor experience at the same altitude?

2. Relevant equations

Fg = ma , Fg =Gm1m2 / r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

a = Fg / m, thus:

Fg / m = Gm1m2 / r^2

then:

r = √ (Fg / Gm1m2(m))

I got this far, somewhat understanding what I was doing the equation manupulation. Please help me! I searched this question up, but that thread was not helpful.

I don't know how to solve the question. The altitude is the radius from the earth? and since a = Fg / m, :S I equated this with the Fg = Gm1m2 / r^2, :|.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what "Gm1m2/r^2" means? What is G? What are m1 and m2?
    A really major error is setting "a= Fg/m= Gm1m2/r^2". "Gm1m2/r^2" is the force due to gravity, not the acceleration. What you want is Fg= ma= Gm1m2/r^2.

Now, again, what are m1 and m2?

That wolyld be correct but you didn't! You equated it to a, not Fg.

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3

Yes I do understand what the equation: Fg = Gm1m2 / r^2 this is what my notes say (taking an online physics course, they provide notes)

G = gravitational field constant, m1 and m2 are the two masses, Fg = the force of gravity acting on each object,

r = the distance between the centres of the two masses.

this is the newtons law of universal gravitation in the above equation form.

So ma = Gm1m2 / r^2 ??

which means r = √ (ma / Gm1m2)?

m1 would be the earths mass and m2 would be the meteor mass? but the mass, m2, would cancel out right?

5. Jun 3, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks as if you have three different masses, m1, m2 and m. There are only two objects, so there should only be two different masses.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #5
    The top equation is right, but you solved for r wrong.
    And you are right about m2, it does cancel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook