Earth's Gravitational Field Strength

In summary, to find the altitude above the Earth's surface where the gravitational field strength is two-thirds of its value at the surface, we use the equation A = GM/r^2 and solve for 'R' using proportional reasoning. We then subtract the Earth's radius from 'R' to find the altitude.
Jtappan

Homework Statement

a) Find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be two-thirds of its value at the surface. Assume re = 6.371 103 km.
__________ km
(b) Find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be one-third of its value at the surface.
___________km

[Hint: First find the radius for each situation; then recall that the altitude is the distance from the surface to a point above the surface. Use proportional reasoning.]

Homework Equations

This is what I am having trouble with. What equation do I use?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with the equation. Which equation do I use for gravitational strength that involves height...or distance from the surface of the earth??

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitation field strength = GM/r^2

Find the distance from the center of the earth... then subtract the Earth's radius... that gives altitude.

First find the distance from the Earth's center r when:

GM/r^2 = (2/3)GM/re^2

solve for r in terms of re. Then plug in the number for re to get r... then subtract the Earth's radius from r... that gives the altitude...

or another way to look at it:

GM/(re + a)^2 = (2/3)GM/re^2

solving for a will give you the answer you need.

that's for 2/3... then do the same thing for 1/3...

If I use that formula I solve for "a" but the coefficient in from of Re is negative... what am I doing wrong?

I've had an attempt at the first question you posted, and I shall try to tell you how I got my answer.

Using the equation A = GM/r^2 where 'A' here is my Gravitational Field Strength, we can say that if 'R' is the radius at which the Gravitational Field Strength is two-thirds that of the field strength on Earth's surface, then GM/R^2 = (2/3) GM/6371.1^2 = (2/3) GM/40590915.21.

'G', the Gravitational Constant is 6.67 x 10^-11 and 'M', the mass of the Earth in this case, is 5.97219 x 10^24 kg.

But we don't need to know that because we can simply the equation above, diving all sides by 'G' and 'M' to get 1/R^2 = 2/(3(40590915.21)) so 1/R^2 = 2/121772745.63. Diving both the numerator and denominator on the right side, we get 1/60886372.815 and since that is equal to 1/R^2 we can deduce that 60886372.815 = R^2.

R = sqrt(60886372.815) = 7802.97205012km. That's the radius from the centre of mass.

In order to find the altitude from the surface, we take that value and subtract the radius at the surface from it.

7802.97205012 - 6371.1 = 1431.87205012km. And that's your answer.

Hope this helped, and I'll probably cover the second question a bit later.

1. What is Earth's gravitational field strength?

Earth's gravitational field strength, denoted by the symbol g, is a measure of the strength of the gravitational force exerted by Earth on objects near its surface. It is approximately equal to 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is Earth's gravitational field strength calculated?

The formula for calculating Earth's gravitational field strength is g = G * M / r², where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2), M is the mass of Earth (5.97 x 10^24 kg), and r is the distance from the center of Earth to the object.

3. Does Earth's gravitational field strength vary at different locations on the planet?

Yes, Earth's gravitational field strength does vary at different locations on the planet due to factors such as altitude, latitude, and topography. The closer an object is to the center of Earth, the stronger the gravitational force.

4. How does Earth's gravitational field strength compare to other planets?

Earth's gravitational field strength is considered to be relatively strong compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, Mars has a gravitational field strength of about 3.71 m/s², while Jupiter has a much stronger field strength of 24.79 m/s².

5. Can Earth's gravitational field strength change over time?

Earth's gravitational field strength is relatively constant, but it can change slightly over time due to factors such as tectonic activity, changes in mass distribution, and the movement of Earth's oceans and atmosphere. However, these changes are very small and not noticeable to humans.