1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational fields

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    :cry: can someone please explain and/or elaborate on:
    the factors that influence the force exerted by the gravitational field on a large object to another object??
    o:) appreciate it~~`~

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What thoughts have you had about it?

4. Nov 15, 2005 #3
    honestly ...nothing much.....
    i'm wondering if there's anything else i should refer to beside the distance and the weight of the objects

5. Nov 15, 2005 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Risaka-
    "honestly ...nothing much.....
    i'm wondering if there's anything else i should refer to beside the distance and the weight of the objects"

You mean distance and mass. These are the factors that determine the mutual force of attraction between objects. The gravitational field created by an object depends on the object's mass.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  6. Nov 15, 2005 #5
    Actually it depends on the objects energy (including rest mass) and momentum. These are combined in the so-called 'energy-momentum-stress' tensor which is the source of a gravitational field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?