Calculating Net Gravitational Field Strength Between a Planet and the Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the net gravitational field strength between a planet and the sun in a distant solar system. The correct method is to calculate the sun's gravitational field at half the distance and add it to the planet's gravitational field at half the distance. The conversation also addresses some mistakes made in the calculations and the possibility of a smaller resultant vector compared to the individual vectors being added.
kingyof2thejring
Hi there, everybody, ivgot a question here,
In a distant solar system, a planet (mass 4.13x1028 kg) is orbiting the sun (mass 7.67x1030 kg) with an orbit radius of 2.72x1011 m.

Calculate the magnitude of the net gravitational field strength midway between the planet and the sun, in N kg -1

so the Sun's gravitational field, is given by g = (G*Msun)/r^2sun
i get an aswer 1.48e-4 which is not correct of course, why not?.
please help, thnaks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the sun's grav. field magnitude at r/2 and then the planet's at r/2. Add these to get the total.

- Kamataat

i get 1.489e-4 N kg-1 for the planets but
0.1125 N kg-1 for the suns
so wats wrong with the suns value

You sure you calculated correctly? For the sun I get
[tex]F=G\times\frac{M_{sun}}{(\frac{r}{2})^2}=6,672\cdot 10^{-11}\times\frac{7,67\cdot 10^{30}}{(\frac{2,72\cdot 10^{11}}{2})^2}=2,767\cdot 10^{-2}\frac{N}{kg}[/tex]
- Kamataat

Last edited:
yeh is see i have made a mistake there but if we add 1.48e-4 and 2.767e-2
i get an anwser still much greater than the riquired ansewr of 1.28e-4 infact my for the planet's gravitational field strength is greater than the net.

FS is vector directed away from the origin of the field. The magnitude of a resultant vector can be smaller that the magnitudes of the vectors being added.

- Kamataat

hi, er... both answers (1.489e-4 & 2.767e-2) don't add-up to give me the net force of 1.28e-4.

Can someone please help me... I'm tired, stuck and utterly miserable.

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth's surface.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The magnitude of gravitational force between two objects can be calculated using the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between gravitational force and gravitational field?

Gravitational force is the actual force between two objects, while gravitational field is the region in space where a mass experiences a force due to the presence of another mass. The strength of the gravitational field is determined by the mass of the object creating it.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. For example, if the distance between two objects is doubled, the force between them decreases by a factor of four.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the gravitational force it experiences?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that as the mass of one object increases, the force between it and another object with a fixed mass also increases. For example, if the mass of an object is doubled, the force it experiences due to gravity also doubles.