1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational force (I think )

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A student of mass 72 kg is at an altitude of 1.5 km falling towards the Earth's surface, accelerating at 9.8 m/s2. What is the acceleration of the Earth as it falls toward the student? The radius of the Earth is 6.38 x 10^6 m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to go about solving this problem. I don't know what to do with the information that is given or even what equations to use. (but I do know that my answer has to have an exponent of 10^-23 m/s2)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

TWO masses exert a force on each other, i.e. F = G M m /r2.

The m is subjected to an acceleration of g = G M / r2, so can one determine the acceleration of M?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    oh...okay...that makes more sense....well G is a constant and M is given....so for r, should I use the radius of the earth? (because I was thinking to use the distance that the person was falling b/c that would be the "radius" between the two objects....but then what would I do with the radius of the earth?....and does M correspond to the mass of the earth or the mass of the person?)

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4
    is there any other way to do this without using the gravitational force equation?

6. Oct 2, 2007 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

There is... but I'm guessing they want you to solve it using the gravitational force equation because they give you the radius of the earth.

The earth experience a net force of GMm/r^2 (here r is not the radius of the earth, but the distance from the center of mass of the earth to the falling person... ie the radius of the earth + the altitude), where M is the earth's mass. So what is the acceleration of the earth?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?