Gravitational Force On A Spaceship

In summary, Skippy is trying to find the force exerted by one asteroid on the spaceship. He has tried a few different methods but is still no closer to solving the problem. He has found the force exerted by one asteroid, but needs to find the x-component of that force to figure out how much of that is the force needed to move the spaceship.
Lucretius
http://s7.imagehosting.us/uploadpoint/imagehosting_upload_storage/nouser_780/T0_-1_780959.png

This is the problem I am working on. I do not know how I am supposed to find the force exerted on the spaceship. I figured I would find the gravitational attraction of the asteroids on each other, and then use that combined force, but then I get stuck. I also don't know what MN stands for? Some form of a Newton? I just need a push in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the asteroids are the same mass and distances away, the Y-component of their attraction on the spaceship will cancel out. So just the X-component of their force will matter. Find how much force one of the asteroids exerts on the spaceship in the x direction to start off.

No idea on MN

Okay, I must have tried about fifty things, and I get the wrong answer every time. If the y-components cancel out, the spaceship does not move upwards at all, correct? I found the force exerted by one asteroid on the spaceship. I thought I would have to find the hypotenus of a triangle, but since the spaceship doesn't move in the y direction at all… What use is the d-value? (not the big D, the small d). I'm still as confused as ever.

Each asteroid exerts a gravitational force on the ship. Calculate that force. (The force depends on D and d.) If you take the x-axis as being in the direction the ship is moving, then, as Skippy says, the y-components of the force will cancel out. So find the x-component of the force and double it.

MN = mega Newton

Lucretius said:
Okay, I must have tried about fifty things, and I get the wrong answer every time. If the y-components cancel out, the spaceship does not move upwards at all, correct? I found the force exerted by one asteroid on the spaceship. I thought I would have to find the hypotenus of a triangle, but since the spaceship doesn't move in the y direction at all… What use is the d-value? (not the big D, the small d). I'm still as confused as ever.

You need the d value along with the D value to find the force acting on the ship due to one asteroid and then you need it again to find how much of that is the x component.

I had to take a break I was getting pretty mad at this problem — and I still cannot figure it out... I did the following…

(these numbers are different than the ones in the picture, D=3803m, and d=1426m)

I first wanted to make a triangle, so 3803^2 + 1426^2, then I took the square root of that answer to get 4061 for my resultant force.

Then I filled in the equation Gm1m2/r^2. The answer I get is 3.5389x10^8.

I figured if I wanted to find the total force on the spaceship, I would have to include the other force provided by the other asteroid. Because they are evenly spaced apart, and have the same mass, I know that the y-component, and the hypotenuse of my force triangle cancel out — and that the x-value is doubled.

But, how do I get what the x-component of my force triangle is? I can't just plug in Gm1m2/r^2 again…

Sorry I am not understanding this problem at all, it is frustrating me beyong belief…

Basicly you got by symmetry as it has been stated

[tex] \sum F_{y} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sum F_{x} = 2 G \frac{m_{asteroid}m_{spaceship}}{D^2 +d^2} \frac{D}{\sqrt{D^2 + d^2}} [/tex]

I think I am just going to call it quits on this problem. Can't find a way to solve it, and it's annoying me too much.

You find the x-component of the force the same way you find the x-component of any vector: [itex]F_x = F \cos \theta[/itex], where the angle is measured from the x-axis. You can find the cos(theta) by using the properties of the right triangle. (Look carefully at what Cyclovenom posted.)

Doc, I could kiss you!

1. What is gravitational force on a spaceship?

The gravitational force on a spaceship is the force that attracts the spaceship towards a celestial body, such as a planet or a star. It is a result of the mass of the celestial body and the distance between the spaceship and the body.

2. How is gravitational force on a spaceship calculated?

The gravitational force on a spaceship can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the gravitational force on a spaceship change during flight?

Yes, the gravitational force on a spaceship can change during flight as the distance between the spaceship and celestial bodies can change. Additionally, the mass of the spaceship can also change due to fuel consumption or docking with other objects.

4. How does gravitational force affect the trajectory of a spaceship?

The gravitational force on a spaceship affects its trajectory by causing it to accelerate towards the celestial body it is orbiting. This force is responsible for keeping the spaceship in its orbit and maintaining its speed.

5. Can the gravitational force on a spaceship be turned off?

No, the gravitational force on a spaceship cannot be turned off as it is a fundamental force of nature. However, astronauts can experience weightlessness in space due to the absence of a strong gravitational force acting on their bodies.