Gravitational Force on different planets

In summary, the problem involves finding the difference in mass between two planets, given the weight of a robot on both planets and their respective radii. Using the formula W = G \frac{M_{E}m}{r^2}, the correct masses for planet A and B are 13103.1kg and 12272.1kg, respectively. The discrepancy in the answer may be due to a simultaneous equation problem, which can be solved by setting the weight of the robot on planet A and B equal to each other and solving for the masses of the planets.
BlackMamba
I thought I did this problem correctly but when I submit my answer it says other wise.

Here is the problem: The mass of a robot is 5440kg. This robot weighs 3610N more on planet A than it does on planet B. Both planets have the same radius of [tex]1.33 * 10^7m[/tex]. What is the difference [tex]M_{A} - M_{B}[/tex] in the masses of these planets?

And I my answer must be in kg.

So I know to use:

[tex]W = G \frac{M_{E}m}{r^2}[/tex]

My answer for the mass on planet B was 12272.1 and for planet A was 13103.1. But when subtracting A - B my answer is wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BlackMamba said:
My answer for the mass on planet B was 12272.1 and for planet A was 13103.1.
This doesn't make sense. The mass will be the same on both planets. It's the force or Newtons, or pounds that will change from planet to planet.

Just my guess...
It looks like a simultaneous equation problem.

weight of robot on planet A:

[tex]W_{a} = G \frac{M_{a} M_{robot}}{r^2}[/tex]

weight of robot on planet B:
[tex]W_{b} = G \frac{M_{b} M_{robot}}{r^2}[/tex]

Since the robot weighs 3610N less on planet B than on planet A:
[tex]W_{b} = W_{a}-3610[/tex]

so...

[tex]G \frac{M_{a} M_{robot}}{r^2} = G \frac{M_{b} M_{robot}}{r^2} - 3610[/tex]

G is known, mass of robot is known, radius is known.
Now solve for Mass of planet A and Mass of planet B.

It seems like you have correctly used the equation for calculating the weight of an object on different planets. However, the problem is asking for the difference in the masses of the two planets, not the weight of the robot on each planet.

To find the difference in masses, you need to rearrange the equation to solve for the mass of each planet. This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by G and multiplying by r^2:

M_{E} = \frac{W r^2}{G m}

Once you have the mass of each planet, you can subtract them to find the difference in mass:

M_{A} - M_{B} = \frac{W_{A} r^2}{G m} - \frac{W_{B} r^2}{G m}

Plugging in the given values, you should get a difference of approximately 2.5 * 10^24 kg.

Remember that the mass of an object is constant, but its weight can change depending on the gravitational force of the planet it is on. So, while the robot may weigh more on planet A, its mass remains the same on both planets.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and your solution. Keep in mind to always double check the units and what the problem is asking for. Good luck!

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that describes the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

2. How does gravitational force vary on different planets?

Gravitational force varies on different planets due to differences in mass and distance. The greater the mass of a planet, the stronger its gravitational force. Additionally, the distance between two objects also affects the strength of gravitational force, with greater distance resulting in weaker force.

3. Why is there no gravitational force on the moon?

There is a gravitational force on the moon, but it is much weaker than the force on Earth. The moon's smaller mass and greater distance from Earth results in a weaker gravitational force. However, the moon's gravitational force is still strong enough to control the tides on Earth.

4. How does gravitational force affect objects on different planets?

Gravitational force affects objects on different planets by determining their weight. The greater the gravitational force, the greater an object's weight will be. This is why astronauts weigh less on the moon, where the gravitational force is weaker, compared to their weight on Earth.

5. Can gravitational force be manipulated on different planets?

No, gravitational force cannot be manipulated on different planets. It is a natural force that cannot be controlled or changed by humans. However, the strength of gravitational force can be affected by changing the mass or distance of objects, such as in the case of artificial satellites orbiting a planet.