Moon Gravitational Force Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a lunar surface exploration vehicle's acceleration and the necessary drive force on the moon. It also mentions the gravitational constant, masses of Earth and the moon, and their radii. The question is about the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the vehicle on the moon, which can be calculated using Newton's Second Law.
fewill
1. In tests on Earth a lunar surface exploration vehicle (mass = 5.68 × 103 kg) achieves a forward acceleration of 0.220 m/s2. To achieve this same acceleration on the moon, the vehicle's engines must produce a drive force of 1.42 × 103 N. What is the magnitude of the frictional force that acts on the vehicle on the moon?
G= 6.673*10-11
mEarth= 5.98*1024
mMoon= 7.35*1022
rEarth= 6.38*106
rMoon= 1.74*106

2. F=Gm1m2/r2

3. All I know is that the mass is the same on Earth as it is on the moon. I figured that the frictional force is the opposite of the driving force. I am lost. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
fewill said:
1. In tests on Earth a lunar surface exploration vehicle (mass = 5.68 × 103 kg) achieves a forward acceleration of 0.220 m/s2. To achieve this same acceleration on the moon, the vehicle's engines must produce a drive force of 1.42 × 103 N. What is the magnitude of the frictional force that acts on the vehicle on the moon?
G= 6.673*10-11
mEarth= 5.98*1024
mMoon= 7.35*1022
rEarth= 6.38*106
rMoon= 1.74*106

2. F=Gm1m2/r2

3. All I know is that the mass is the same on Earth as it is on the moon. I figured that the frictional force is the opposite of the driving force. I am lost. Please help.

I'll give you a hint: this question has nothing to do with Newton's law of gravitation, but everything to do with Newton's Second Law :wink:

So do I use F-fk=ma?

fewill said:
So do I use F-fk=ma?
Sounds good to me :approve:

Got it thanks!

fewill said:
Got it thanks!
A pleasure.

1. What is the Moon Gravitational Force Problem?

The Moon Gravitational Force Problem refers to the discrepancy between the predicted gravitational force between the Earth and the Moon based on Newton's law of gravitation, and the actual observed force.

2. Why is the Moon Gravitational Force Problem important?

Understanding the force of gravity between celestial bodies is crucial for accurately predicting their orbits and movements. The Moon Gravitational Force Problem highlights a potential flaw in our current understanding of gravity and the need for further research and investigation.

3. What are some proposed explanations for the Moon Gravitational Force Problem?

Some scientists believe that the discrepancy could be due to the presence of dark matter or other unknown forces that affect the gravitational pull between the Earth and the Moon. Others suggest that it could be a result of measurement errors or incomplete data.

4. How is the Moon Gravitational Force Problem being studied?

Scientists are using various methods such as lunar laser ranging and spacecraft observations to measure the gravitational force between the Earth and the Moon with greater precision. They are also conducting experiments and simulations to test different theories and explanations for the discrepancy.

5. What are the potential implications of resolving the Moon Gravitational Force Problem?

If the Moon Gravitational Force Problem is successfully resolved, it could lead to a better understanding of gravity and its effects on celestial bodies. It could also have implications for our understanding of the universe and potentially open up new avenues for scientific exploration.