Gravitational force Question

In summary, the approximate value of the gravitational force between a 61 kg astronaut and a 71000 kg space shuttle when they're 81 m apart is 4.40 nN. However, the initial attempt at the solution was incorrect due to a mistake in the distance given in the problem.
Finhum

Homework Statement

What is the approximate value of the gravitational force between a 61 kg astronaut and a 71000 kg space shuttle when they're 81 m apart?

Homework Equations

F = [G(Mm)/r^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (6.67×10−11 N·m2/kg2)(61 kg)(71,000 kg)÷
(84 m)2 = 48.4 nN.

Web assign marked it wrong?
Is it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your arithmetic, given your set up (which is correct) I get 40.9 nN.

shallgren said:
Check your arithmetic, given your set up (which is correct) I get 40.9 nN.

^ That is wrong.

Whoops, I just checked what you had filled in the equation as. The problem you wrote says that the shuttle and the astronaut are 81 m apart, but the set-up shows 84 m. My bad.

Using 81 m as the distance, I get 4.40 nN. Unless, of course, the problem actually is 84.

What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted to one another.

How does gravitational force work?

Gravitational force is based on the theory of general relativity, which states that objects with mass create a curvature in space-time that causes other objects to be pulled towards them.

What factors affect gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational force.

What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

How does gravitational force impact the movement of objects in space?

Gravitational force plays a crucial role in the movement of objects in space, such as planets orbiting around the sun. It also helps to keep galaxies together and influences the structure and evolution of the universe.