1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational force

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sphere A with mass 70 kg is located at the origin of an xy coordinate system; sphere B with mass 69 kg is located at coordinates (0.29 m, 0); sphere C with mass 0.40 kg is located at coordinates (0.15 m, 0.11 m). In unit-vector notation, what is the gravitational force on C due to A and B?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just have a quick question. How do you find distance between ac and bc. I know its simple i just don't wanna do the whole problem with wrong Rac and Rbc values. I graphed it and did Pythagorean theorem to find hypotenuse? Is this correct i got distance between ac to be .186 and bc to be .178. I got the physics down its the algebra that i need to check!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi wbetting! :smile:
    (either say "the distance between a and c" or "the distance ac" :wink:)

yes, pythagoras is the correct method (and your answers are correct) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook