What Altitude Above Earth's Surface Would Result in Half Your Weight?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the altitude above the Earth's surface where a person's weight would be half of what it is on the surface. The formula for force is given and simplified, and it is determined that the distance for force 1 (half the weight) would be (Re+h)^2 while the distance for force 2 (full weight) would be Re^2. It is then suggested to plug in numbers to solve for the distance needed for half the weight, with an example using a weight of 100 pounds. The conversation ends with the original poster expressing gratitude for the help.
Jaerik

Homework Statement

At what altitude above the Earth's Surface would your weight be half of what it is at the Earth's surface?

and I know that the mass of the Earth is 5.974 X 10^24 and the Radius of the Earth is 6.371 X 10^6

Homework Equations

I know that F = GM1M2 / R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I was sitting in class and I sort of remember him changing the formula to this

G = Me * M / R^2

so and I think I am going this correctly I am thinking that

G = Me * 1/2M / R^2 + h = G = Me * M / R^2

I think that is right but I am not sure, my professor is a nice guy but he confuses me a lot. I just don't know what to do after this it has been years since I had a math class. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want force 1 to equal half of force 2. Everything in the numerators will cancel out, which is why your professor removed the gravitational constant. What is the distance force 2 acts over? What about force 1?

I don't know what the distance is it isn't given and I am so confused I have no idea where to even start and try and figure that out. Would that be the radius of the Earth then?

Force 2 acts over a distance of th Earth's radius and force 1 acts over a distance (R+h), h being the height above the Earth's surface.

Remember, youre not looking for where youll have half the mass, youre looking for where there's half the weight (m*force of gravity)

so more of what I am looking for is W1 (the weight you are on the Earth's surface) / W2 (half of W1) = Re^2 / (Re + h)^2?

Almost, both those terms appear in the denominators, so you need to flip them if you still want weight on Earth / weight above Earth = 2

Um I don't think I understand. Flip them how like W2 / W1 = Re^2 / (Re + h)^2

So if I set W1 = 80kg W2 = 40kg then cross multiplied it would sort of look like this?

H^2 = 80kg * (6.371 X 10^6m)^2 / 40kg - (6.371 X 10^6m)
H^2 = 4.0589 X 10^13
H = SQRT (4.589 X 10^13)
H = 6371000m

What is all this?? Just use google to find the http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLR&q=mass+of+the+earth" of the earth. Then feed that back into
F=G*M*m/r^2

F= force in Newtons
G= 6.67*10^-11
M and m= mass is kilograms
r= distance from center in meters

So whatever 1/2 the weight you want(in Newtons)=G*5.9742×10^24 kilograms*your mass/r^2

This will get you the distance you need to be from Earth to be half the weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I could just make up a mass and go with it from there?

what i am saying is if you want to find half your weight on the earth, just plug in numbers so that the distance changes.

ok so f = 6.67x10^-11 x 5.974x10^24/(6.371X10^6)^2
F then = 9.816

I thought you wanted to know how far you have to be for your weight to be half?? Whats 9.816 coming from??

Say your weight is 100 pounds or 444.8 Newtons. 100 pound in kilograms is equal to 45.4. Plug that in.
444.8=G*5.974x10^24*45.4/r^2
From here all you have to do is some algerbra to get the distance(r), which is in meters.

thanks man I think I got it. I am sorry that I didn't understand. my brain has been fried lookin at this thing for a couple of days now. I appreciate your help

1. What is the definition of gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It is the force that pulls objects towards each other and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The strength of gravitational force between two objects is determined by their masses and the distance between them. The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = (G * m1 * m2) / d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. How does distance affect gravitational force?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which means that if the distance between two objects doubles, the force of gravity decreases by a factor of four. Therefore, the closer two objects are, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

4. What factors affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force is affected by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects, the stronger the gravitational force will be. Similarly, the closer the objects are, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

5. How does gravitational force impact the motion of objects?

Gravitational force is responsible for the motion of objects in our solar system. It keeps planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around their respective planets. On Earth, gravitational force is what keeps us on the ground and causes objects to fall towards the Earth's surface.