Gravitational Forces: Calculating Magnitude & Acceleration

In summary, the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted on a 787-kg satellite that is a distance of two Earth radii from the center of the earth is 8.48*10^-14 Newtons. To calculate this, you can use the equation F = G(m1m2/r^2) and the fact that the gravitational acceleration at two Earth radii is equal to half of the gravitational acceleration at one Earth radius. Therefore, you can solve for the magnitude of the gravitational force by using F = ma and substituting in the value for the gravitational acceleration. You do not need the mass of the Earth to solve this problem.
ahealy88
(a) Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted on a 787-kg satellite that is a distance of two Earth radii from the center of the earth= 8.48*10^-14

(b) What is the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted on the Earth by the satellite? (In Newtons)

(c) Determine the magnitude of the satellite's acceleration. (m/s^2)

(d) What is the magnitude of the Earth's acceleration (m/s^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ahealy88! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Thank you! :)
I've tried the F=G(m1m2/r^2) and F=ma and I'm not getting anywhere.

ahealy88 said:
Thank you! :)
I've tried the F=G(m1m2/r^2) and F=ma and I'm not getting anywhere.

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Well, have you done a) then?

If not, show us your calculations, so that we can see what's going wrong. :smile:

The answer to A was given to me, its 8.48*10-14

I don't know how to get A; I'm completely lost in this problem.

ahealy88 said:
(a) Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted on a 787-kg satellite that is a distance of two Earth radii from the center of the earth= 8.48*10^-14

You know g, the gravitational acceleration at one Earth radius …

so what is the gravitational acceleration at two Earth radii? :smile:

(and then use F = ma)

that did not help.

what i have is the mass of earth=5.9742*10^24
G= 6.674*10^11

my equation did not add up= 6.674*10^11(5.9742*10^24 * 787 / 12756.2^2)

and i have no idea how to figure out b,c, & d

Help!

ahealy88 said:
what i have is the mass of Earth = …

You don't need the mass of the Earth! :rolleyes:

You know g, the gravitational acceleration at one Earth radius …

so what is the gravitational acceleration at two Earth radii? :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of gravitational force?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of gravitational force between two objects is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How do I calculate the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula a = G * M/r^2, where a is the acceleration, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object (such as a planet or star), and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the value of the gravitational constant?

The value of the gravitational constant, denoted by G, is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2. This value is constant and is used in the equations for calculating gravitational forces.

4. How does distance affect the magnitude of gravitational force?

As the distance between two objects increases, the magnitude of gravitational force between them decreases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. In other words, the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force between them.

5. Can gravitational forces be repulsive?

No, according to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, gravitational forces are always attractive between two objects. This means that the force will always act towards each other, pulling the objects closer together.