Is Gravitational Interaction Affected by Different Shapes of Bodies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the gravitational interaction between two bodies of any shape, and whether it is possible to predict the motion of their centers of mass by assuming that the mass is located only at the center. It is mentioned that this assumption is true for bodies with spherical symmetry, but not necessarily for all shapes. A counterexample is given to show that the real interaction between bodies is different from the assumption about the center of mass.
paweld
I wonder about gravitational interaction between two bodies of any shape (not necessarly symmetrical).
I would like to predict the motion of their centers of mas if they don't interact with any other bodies. Can I assume that mass of each body is located only in the center and compute the gravitational force as if the bodies were punctual? (In fact I should compute double vector integral over volume of each body.)

I know that it's true in case of bodies with spherical symmetry (one can prove this using e.g. Gauss theorem). Is it always true for all shapes of bodies.

Physics news on Phys.org
paweld said:
Can I assume that mass of each body is located only in the center and compute the gravitational force as if the bodies were punctual?
No.
I know that it's true in case of bodies with spherical symmetry (one can prove this using e.g. Gauss theorem). Is it always true for all shapes of bodies.
No, it's not true in general.

Thanks.

I've just devised a simple counterexample.
Consider three points of equal masses m lying on the line in the distance a from each other.
One body consists of two points lying side by side and other of one point. The real interaction between bodies is up to multiplicative constant 1/a^2 +1/(2a)^2 while according to my assumption about the center of masses it would be 2/(3/2 a)^2.

Good!

1. What is gravitational interaction?

Gravitational interaction is the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.

2. How does gravitational interaction work?

Gravitational interaction works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This force decreases with distance, so the closer two objects are, the stronger their gravitational interaction.

3. What is the formula for calculating gravitational interaction?

The formula for calculating gravitational interaction is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravitational interaction, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards each other. This force causes objects to accelerate towards each other, resulting in circular or elliptical orbits in the case of celestial bodies. On Earth, gravity causes objects to fall towards the ground.

5. Can gravitational interaction be blocked or shielded?

Gravitational interaction cannot be blocked or shielded as it is a fundamental force of nature. However, its effects can be countered by other forces, such as the electromagnetic force. For example, a rocket uses the force of thrust to overcome the gravitational pull of Earth and reach space.