1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Law - Very Difficult

1. May 5, 2009 #1
    An object is fired vertically upwards from the surface of a planetary body; it moves under the action of Newton’s Gravitational Law, without
    resistance, so the equation is z'' = -gR^2 / (z + R)^2 . Find the relation between v = z' and z and use this model, and the relation that you have
    found, to obtain a numerical estimate for the escape speed on the surface of the Earth.

Its the wording of the question I don't get? I assume I integrate z'' twice to find the velocity and distance respectively, but i already have a z on the RHS so i cant integrate, but the escape speed to escape the surface of the earth? is this like when g (9.81) begins to decrease as it moves from the planetry body? I havn't got a clue at all. Any help appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The escape velocity is the velocity at which the kinetic energy is equal to the gravitational potential energy of the planet.

Using the chain rule you can write [tex]\frac{d^2 z}{dt^2}=\frac{d v}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dz}\frac{dz}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dz}[/tex] After rearranging your equation you can now integrate.

How did you get the equation for z''?

4. May 5, 2009 #3
    it was given in the question, the equation for z'' that is

5. May 5, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Odd that the mass of the planet isn't a part of the equation.

6. May 5, 2009 #5
    Does it help to know I'm doing a Maths degree and not a Physics one? We were told none of our questions would require knownledge of classical mechanics/physics, but just differential equations etc

7. May 5, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Regardless of what they said this is somewhat of a physics problem, but it matters not. Just use the equation you were given.

8. May 5, 2009 #7
    Hi there,

Your first equation: [tex]\frac{d^2z}{dt^2} = ...[/tex] is not Newton's gravitational law. It is the result of the Newton's gravitational law, considering a planetary body, like the Earth, the Sun, or the Moon. Newton's real gravitational law is define as the force that attracts two body of masses, and is express with : [tex]F_g = G\frac{m_1 \cdot m_2}{r^2}[/tex] where [tex]G[/tex] is Universal gravitational constant, [tex]m_i[/tex] are the mass of each body, and [tex]r[/tex] is the distance between the two body's center of mass.

Hope this helps you understand it more.

9. May 5, 2009 #8
    yeah i remember all this from A-level physics, but i dont know any masses or distances so i assume theyre kept as constants in the ODE

10. May 6, 2009 #9
    There is no mention to the mass of the planet because it's inside g, the formula is correct (physically speaking). If this was merely a maths problem, you'd have to solve the ODE with the initial conditions z(0)=0, z'(0)=v and find out for which v z(infty)->infty. But this is too much work for a physicist... We know that there is a conserved quantity, energy:

[tex]E=z'^2 - {gR^2\over z+R}[/tex]

and that for E=0, the particle will escape, so... we set z=0 in that equation and solve for z'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook