Gravitational Lensing and Angular Diameter Distances

In summary, to find an expression for β/ΘE in terms of X/ΘE and Y/ΘE, we can use the equations for gravitational lensing and the small angle approximation, and then rearrange the equation to solve for β/ΘE.
maxhersch

Homework Statement

hh2vRh5.png

Given this diagram, the problem is to find an expression for β/ΘE in terms of X/ΘE and Y/ΘE.

Homework Equations

β = Θ – α(Θ)
Dsβ = DsΘ – Dlsα'(Θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really only need help starting this problem. In my textbook and every document I can find online about gravitational lensing it says that the distance from the lens to the source is not simply the difference between the distance from the source to the observer and the distance from the lens to the observer. They say that this is because these distances are actually angular diameter distances and that we will learn about them later on.

What I would like to know is if you are given the distance to the source and the distance to the lens, how do you get the distance between the source and lens? The textbook seems to tell you how not to calculate it, but then they don't explain how to calculate it until 5 chapters later. Meanwhile in my homework I have this problem along with another problems that asks me to use distance to source and lens to find the Einstein radius of the lens, which also requires a value for β. Maybe I am missing something obvious but any help would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand your frustration with not being able to find a clear explanation for this problem. I will do my best to help you get started on finding an expression for β/ΘE in terms of X/ΘE and Y/ΘE.

First, let's define some variables:
- Θ is the angular diameter distance from the observer to the source
- α(Θ) is the deflection angle of light passing near a massive object, such as a galaxy or a star
- β is the apparent angular position of the source as seen by the observer
- Ds is the angular diameter distance from the lens to the source
- Dls is the angular diameter distance from the lens to the observer

Now, we can use the equations you provided to start finding an expression for β/ΘE. We know that β = Θ – α(Θ), so we can substitute this into the second equation: Dsβ = DsΘ – Dlsα'(Θ).

Next, we can use the small angle approximation, which states that for small angles, the sine of the angle is approximately equal to the angle itself. This is useful in gravitational lensing because the deflection angle, α(Θ), is usually very small. So, we can rewrite the equation as: Dsβ = DsΘ – Dlsα(Θ).

Now, we can rearrange this equation to solve for β/ΘE: β/ΘE = (DsΘ – Dlsα(Θ)) / (DsΘE)

Finally, we can use the definition of the angular diameter distance, ΘE = Ds / Dls, to substitute for DsΘE in the equation: β/ΘE = (DsΘ – Dlsα(Θ)) / (ΘE * Dls).

I hope this helps you get started on finding an expression for β/ΘE. Remember to always check your units and make sure they cancel out to give you the correct units for the final answer. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the light from a distant object is bent and distorted by the gravitational force of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies, between the object and the observer.

2. How does gravitational lensing affect the appearance of distant objects?

Gravitational lensing can magnify, distort, and even multiply the image of a distant object. This allows us to see objects that would otherwise be too faint or too small to be detected.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak gravitational lensing?

Strong gravitational lensing occurs when the light from a distant object is significantly magnified and distorted, resulting in multiple images of the object. Weak gravitational lensing, on the other hand, is a more subtle effect in which the light from a distant object is only slightly distorted.

4. How are angular diameter distances related to gravitational lensing?

Angular diameter distances are a measure of the physical size of an object in the sky relative to its distance from Earth. In gravitational lensing, the angular diameter distance is important because it affects the degree of distortion and magnification of the light from a distant object.

5. Can gravitational lensing be used to study the properties of dark matter?

Yes, gravitational lensing is a valuable tool for studying the distribution and properties of dark matter. The way in which light is bent and distorted by the gravitational pull of dark matter can provide insights into its nature and distribution in the universe.