Gravitational Lensing: Solving Equation 2.1

In summary, it is important for scientists to thoroughly research and understand the equations and concepts they are working with. In this case, further investigation and consulting other sources will help to gain a deeper understanding of the complex sum in equation 2.1 and its relationship to gravitational potential in the context of gravitational lensing.
Elekko

Homework Statement

I'm studying about gravitational lensing and got stuck on an article:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0708.2684v1.pdf

where the equation 2.1 is abit strange to me. The authour uses the reference

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9703103v1.pdf

for deriving the equation.

According to me, the sum on equation is extremely similar to Gravitational Potential.

Homework Equations

Equation 1 has the form w = z - Ʃsigma/(bar(z)-bar(zj)) and the gravitational potential is given in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_potential as Ʃ-Gmi/(x-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the complex sum in 2.1 is the same as gravitational potential.

My question is if this is true? Or do I need to do some more research about the derivation?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is always important to thoroughly research and understand the equations and concepts that you are working with. In this case, it would be beneficial for you to further investigate the derivation of equation 2.1 in the article you are studying. This will help you to better understand the similarities and differences between the complex sum in 2.1 and the gravitational potential.

Additionally, it would be helpful to consult other sources and references to gain a deeper understanding of the complex sum and its relationship to gravitational potential. This will also help you to verify the accuracy of the equation and its use in the context of gravitational lensing.

Overall, it is important to continue your research and seek out additional resources to fully understand and interpret the equations and concepts you are studying. This will help you to make accurate and informed conclusions in your work as a scientist.

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which light from a distant object is bent as it passes through the gravitational field of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies.

2. How does gravitational lensing work?

Gravitational lensing occurs due to the bending of space-time by massive objects. The light passing through this curved space-time is deflected, causing an apparent distortion or magnification of the image of the distant object.

3. What is Equation 2.1 in gravitational lensing?

Equation 2.1 is a mathematical equation used to calculate the deflection angle of light in gravitational lensing. It takes into account the mass of the lensing object, the distance between the lens and the source, and the distance between the lens and the observer.

4. How is gravitational lensing useful in solving scientific problems?

Gravitational lensing has a wide range of applications in astrophysics and cosmology. It can be used to study the distribution of dark matter, measure the mass of distant objects, and even detect exoplanets.

5. What are the challenges in solving Equation 2.1 in gravitational lensing?

One of the main challenges in solving Equation 2.1 is accurately measuring the mass and distance of the lensing object. This requires advanced techniques and data analysis, as well as taking into account other factors such as the presence of other galaxies or the effects of dark matter.