Gravitational potential and kinetic energy

In summary, the minimum value of h (in terms of R) for a car to successfully complete a frictionless loop-the-loop ride in an amusement park is (5/2)R. This is determined by considering the conservation of energy and the forces on the car at the top of the loop, where the centripetal acceleration must be at least equal to the force of gravity for the car to stay on the track.
moy13

Homework Statement

A car in an amusement park ride rolls without friction around the track shown in the figure

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1041727/8/YF-07-32.jpg

It starts from rest at point A at a height h above the bottom of the loop. Treat the car as a particle.

What is the minimum value of h (in terms of R) such that the car moves around the loop without falling off at the top (point B)?

Homework Equations

Ugrav1 + K1 = Ugrav2 + K2
circumference of a circle = 2*pi*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since there is no friction, energy is conserved so the energy used to roll up and down the loop is the energy transformed from gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy. So, I thought the height should be 2*pi*R to make it around the loop, but it is wrong. So, how can I decide what the minimum value of h should be?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that PE becomes ½mv² but just getting the car back to h means that it has 0 speed, which isn't enough to hold it in contact with the tracks.

Hence you need mv²/r = mg at that point in order to maintain contact.

With that in mind work your PE to ½mv² magic.

In addition to using the conservation of energy you need to consider the forces on the car.There are two forces on the car at the top of the loop.Try sketching it out and marking in these forces.One of these forces remains constant,which one is it?What is the second force and what happens to this when the speed of the car reduces?Sorry LowlyPion you beat me to the click.I will leave this here anyway.

Last edited:
mv^2 / r = mg, then v^2 = rg where r = R

so I get mgh = mg(2R) + (1/2)mRg

mg cancels out and h = 2R + (1/2)R = (5/2)R

is this correct? I don't really understand.

Thanks for any help though.

moy13 said:
mv^2 / r = mg, then v^2 = rg where r = R

so I get mgh = mg(2R) + (1/2)mRg

mg cancels out and h = 2R + (1/2)R = (5/2)R

is this correct? I don't really understand.

Thanks for any help though.

mgh is your potential energy. You've got that.

Now at any point you will have PE and KE. (At the bottom PE is 0 and it's all KE.)

But now you have the additional constraint that the car stays on the track at the top of the loop.

At the top there is centripetal acceleration outward (up) and there is mg (down) and they need to add to 0. If centripetal acceleration is at least mg then it stays on the rail and completes the loop. Well you know then that mv²/r = mg. Or mv² = mg*R

Since then 1/2mv² is your kinetic energy and since at the top of the loop you also have the mg2R of potential energy then you have 2R + 1/2R as you found.

oh wow, that does make sense, thank you LowlyPion.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is stored in an object when it is lifted above the surface of the Earth or any other planet or object with a gravitational pull.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. This formula assumes that the gravitational field is uniform and the object is near the surface of the Earth.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and it increases as the speed of the object increases.

4. How is kinetic energy related to gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are related to each other. When an object falls from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. As the object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

5. Can gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy be converted into each other?

Yes, gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy can be converted into each other. This is demonstrated by objects that are thrown upwards and then fall back down. At the highest point of the object's trajectory, it has the most potential energy and the least kinetic energy. As it falls towards the ground, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.