1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential Energy of a satellite

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i) Show that when a satellite (or planet) is in a circular orbit it's kinetic energy (positive) is one-half of it's potential energy (negative).

ii) Show that in order to escape from the earth you need a speed v=sqrt(2gR) where g=9.8 m/s^2. Neglect Friction and effects of earth's rotation.

2. Relevant equations

PE= -GMm/R
    KE= (1/2)mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel like I'm doing some kind of basic algebra wrong here.

I was trying to do part 1 by solving (1/2)KE=PE

So, (1/2)(1/2)mv^2 = GMm/R
    (1/4)v^2 = GM/R
    v^2 = 4GM/R
    and v=sqrt(4GM/R)

So in the process of trying to find the answer of part 1, I got close to the answer for part 2 (If I had made KE=PE), but now I'm just confused. Is the "1/2" in the equation for KE already accounting for this? Should I be looking at it like mv^2=PE?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Kinetic energy is one-half of potential energy. That means KE=1/2PE, not 1/2KE=PE. However, you shouldn't start off by assuming what you're trying to prove; that just leads to confusing logic. Instead, assume the satellite orbits at a radius R. Find its potential energy, find its kinetic energy, and you'll see that KE=1/2PE.

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    So just plug in a random mass and a random radius? I don't have any values to use... I'd need a mass, a radius... Which I could pick anything... But what about velocity? I can't just pick something there. And I can't find velocity without a change in distance and time.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. Apr 25, 2010 #4
    Just keep your equations with the variables in them such as r and M. For the velocity, do you know what orbital velocity is equal to? Remember it is in circular orbit. What is the force on it?

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    I just had to look that up, because I can't find it in the textbook chapter at all.

But, I found V=sqrt(GM/r)

So KE=(1/2)*m*(sqrtGM/r)^2 or (1/2)*m*(GM/r)

So basically that means
    PE= -GMm/R
    KE=(1/2) GMm/R

I think thats satisfactory for part 1, if I did that right. Because PE is negative, KE is positive, and KE is 1/2 PE.

Im not sure how to approach Part II though.

I think that KE=PE to escape earth... so...
    (1/2)mv^2 = GMm/R
    v^2 = 2GM/R
    and v=sqrt(2GM/R)

But I'm supposed to find v=sqrt(2gR)

...Where am I going wrong here? I think Im confused about what needs to happen to escape earth.

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    Yep looks right to me for the first part. To get the orbital velocity all you do is set the force of gravity (GMm/r^2) equal to ma. But the acceleration is centripetal (a = v^2/r) since it is a circular orbit. Solve for v and voila.

For escape velocity it looks right as well. What does g equal in v=sqrt(2gR)?

8. Apr 25, 2010 #7
    g is 9.8 ms/^2....... But I'm not seeing how that makes it equal to v=sqrt(2GM/R)?

9. Apr 25, 2010 #8
    This is only true on Earth's surface. But we also use it because it is a good approximation when near Earth's surface as well. How do you find g?

10. Apr 25, 2010 #9
    Oooooooook! g = GM/R^2

So v=sqrt(2gR)..... v=sqrt(2(GM/R^2)R)...v=sqrt(2GM/R)

Success!

Much thanks. This is a study guide for an upcoming physics exam, so I really appreciate you helping me to understand where everything was coming from.

11. Apr 25, 2010 #10
    Yup no problem ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook