Gravitational potential energy question

In summary, the first artificial satellite, Sputnik I, was launched on October 4, 1957 with a mass of 83.5 kg and distances of approximately 7370 km at apogee and 6560 km at perigee. The difference in gravitational potential energy for Sputnik I as it moved from apogee to perigee is negative, as it loses potential energy with decreasing altitude. The calculated potential energies at both altitudes were -2419913865 J and -2571509397 J, resulting in a difference of 151595532 J.
wr1015
The first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth was Sputnik I, launched October 4, 1957. The mass of Sputnik I was 83.5 kg, and its distances from the center of the Earth at apogee and perigee were approximately 7370 km and 6560 km, respectively. Find the difference in gravitational potential energy for Sputnik I as it moved from apogee to perigee. (Use a positive sign for an increase, negative sign for a decrease in U.)

i've calculated the potential energies at both apogee and perigee and I'm thinking the answer would be negative since you're losing altitude so you're losing potential energy, but the force of gravity only gets stronger the closer to the Earth's surface you get. so would it be negative or positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you need to calculate both. I'm sure you can rather easily find the gravity at both altitudes. Then you can figure out exactly what the potential energies will be.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/gpot.html

By convention,
the general expression for gravitational potential energy arises from the law of gravity and is equal to the work done against gravity to bring a mass to a given point in space. Because of the inverse square nature of the gravity force, the force approaches zero for large distances, and it makes sense to choose the zero of gravitational potential energy at an infinite distance away. The gravitational potential energy near a planet is then negative, since gravity does positive work as the mass approaches.

i got U @ apogee = -2419913865 J and U @ perigee = -2571509397 J, so then delta U would be Uapg - Uper = 151595532 J, is this right?

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is dependent on the mass of the object and the distance it is from the center of the gravitational field.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the center of the gravitational field.

What factors affect gravitational potential energy?

The factors that affect gravitational potential energy are the mass of the object, the strength of the gravitational field, and the distance between the object and the center of the gravitational field.

Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative if the object is below the surface level of the gravitational field, such as in a hole or underground.

What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are directly related, as an object with a high gravitational potential energy will convert that energy into kinetic energy as it falls towards the center of the gravitational field. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.