1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential Energy

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    Okay I understand somewhat of this topic of grav potential energy but i got stumped on this one question. I am to find the mass of a satellite orbiting earth with the given variables of (F)(units: kN) which is the force the sattelite attracts the earth, and given the gravitational potential energy (-U). You are also givin the gravitational constant (G), and the earth (m_e)

How could you find the mass (m) of the sattelite without a given radius in the equation U=-(G*m_e*m)/r ?

How would i rewrite this equation

any help would be great thanks
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Lemmy,

You are correct that if you were given only gravitational potential energy (and the mass of the Earth and G) then you couldn't figure out m or r separately but only in the combination m/r. However, you have an extra piece of information: you know the force. Write out what the force is and see if you can find a way to solve for m and r using both F and U.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?