Gravitational potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy in a system with two free masses. The question is raised whether the total kinetic energy is equal to the gravitational potential energy, and there is a disagreement between the speaker and their teacher. The argument is made that if one mass is held in place, then all the GPE goes into the KE of the second mass. The formula for potential energy is also mentioned.
Harry17
Homework Statement
When considering 2 masses in space, both of mass M and radius r separated by a large distance, is their kinetic energy (ie loss of gravitational potential energy) =(GM^2)/(2r) or is it twice that value?

When you calculate the gravitational potential energy, is that the GPE of the whole system or of the individual object, and the total gravitational potential energy is 2 times that value?
Relevant Equations
GMm/r
-

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Good question! How much of this can you work out yourself?

Intuition tells me that that’s the gravitational potential energy of the system- but I’m unsure. As a little exercise I considered a free and a stationary mass and reasoned that the free mass finishes with all the energy, which is equal to the loss of GPA. This led me to think that the total kinetic energy of the system with 2 free masses is equal to the gravitational potential, but my teacher argues the contrary. Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated, thanks

Likes PeroK
Harry17 said:
Intuition tells me that that’s the gravitational potential energy of the system- but I’m unsure. As a little exercise I considered a free and a stationary mass and reasoned that the free mass finishes with all the energy, which is equal to the loss of GPA. This led me to think that the total kinetic energy of the system with 2 free masses is equal to the gravitational potential, but my teacher argues the contrary. Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated, thanks

Yes, that's a valid argument. If you hold one mass in place, then that restraining force does no work, so all the GPE goes into the KE of the second mass. You can calculate the work done more easily (as only one mass is moving) by integrating the force. This does indeed equal the usual formula for potential energy.

To be clear:

##-\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r}##

Represents the total GPE of a two body system. Not only in cases where ##m_1 >> m_2##.

Likes Harry17
Much appreciated, thank you

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work by falling towards a massive object, such as the Earth.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point. This formula assumes a constant gravitational field.

3. What is the difference between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. As an object falls towards the Earth, its gravitational potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative if the reference point is taken to be at a higher height than the object. In this case, the object would have a negative potential energy because it would have to do work to reach the reference point.

5. How does gravitational potential energy affect an object's motion?

Gravitational potential energy does not directly affect an object's motion, but it can be converted into kinetic energy as the object falls towards the source of the gravitational field. This conversion of energy is what causes the object to accelerate towards the ground.