1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational potential of a thin ring

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a thin ring of radius a and mass M. A mass m is placed in the plane of the ring (not in the center!). Determine the gravitational potential for r < a. Find a position of equilibrium and determine whether it is stable or unstable. (Hint: Consider a small displacement from the equilibrium position and do an expansion.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew the picture and tried to figure some sort of integral using law of cosines. I couldnt quite get any where with that though... I wonder if this is an application of Stokes' Theorem?

Any tips on which direction would be great!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some clarifications seem to be in order: What is r? Does the question want the potential due to the ring alone?
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    I assume that r is the distance of an arbitrary point inside the ring to the center. Then a-r would be the distance from the arbitrary point to the ring. Yes, I think it wants potential due to the ring alone.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?