What is the meaning of the equation Vgrav = constant - 1/2 v2?

In summary, the conversation is about the equation Epotential = Etotal - Ekinetic and its equivalent form Vgrav = constant - 1/2 v2. The difference between potential and potential energy is also discussed, with electric potential being potential energy per charge and gravitational potential being potential energy per mass. The use of the symbol U for potential is also mentioned.
Joe09
Hi, I did a quick search but didnt find anything relevant so I apologise if this has been covered.

My A2 Physics book says the following:

Epotential = Etotal - Ekinetic

Since the kinetic energy is 1/2 mv2, and the gravitational potential Vgrav is Epotential/m, dividing this equation by m gives

Vgrav = constant - 1/2 v2

My question is, the book does not go into any more detail and i am unsure what this equation is ment to actually be. I think it means G but i am unsure.

Appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Joe09! Welcome to PF! :smile:

There's a slightly confusing difference between potential and potential energy …

electric potential is potential energy per charge, and gravitational potential is potential energy per mass …

that's why they divided Epotential by m. :wink:

Gravitational potential (in a uniform gravitational field) is U = gh.

(and btw I think we normally use U rather than V for potential)

Thankyou for the welcome.

Of course how silly of me!

The equation:

Epotential = Etotal - Ekinetic

is equivalent to:

GMm/R = mc2 - 1/2 mv2

So when the physics book divides the equation by m we arrive at:

GM/R = c2 - 1/2 v2

which is equivalent to:

Vgrav = constant - 1/2 v2

I tell ya, working with integrals all day confudles the mind :blushing:

U? Oh ok, it be nice if the worlds scientists/exam boards/teaching curriculums could agree on a universal symbol. Unless its only the UK which uses V :rolleyes:

What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is the measure of the potential energy of an object due to its position in a gravitational field.

How is gravitational potential different from gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential is a property of space, while gravitational potential energy is a property of an object within that space.

What factors affect gravitational potential?

The factors that affect gravitational potential include the mass of the object creating the gravitational field, the distance between the objects, and the strength of the gravitational force.

How is gravitational potential calculated?

Gravitational potential is calculated using the equation V = -GM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object creating the field, and r is the distance between the objects.

What is the relationship between gravitational potential and gravitational potential energy?

The relationship between gravitational potential and gravitational potential energy is given by the equation U = mV, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, and V is the gravitational potential. This means that the potential energy of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the gravitational potential at that point in space.