How Does Theta Influence the Integral in Gravitational Potential Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral involving spherical coordinates and the use of pi*r'^2 dr' to find the area of an annulus in the plane. The person is having trouble understanding how theta comes into play and the ignoring of phi. They eventually realize that the transformation is necessary to fully understand the derivation.
Shackleford
I'm not understanding this integral quite fully. Of course G is the constant and rho is also a constant since the sphere is homogeneous. And pi*r'^2 dr' gives the area of circle with respect to r' with limits of a and b. However, I'm not understanding how theta comes into it and the ignoring of phi. I understand the rest of the derivation.

Of course, the integral from a to b of pi*r'^2 dr' gives an area for the annulus in the plane. I guess I'm having trouble seeing the three-dimensional derivation.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-10-03144234.jpg?t=1286135265

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-10-03144253.jpg?t=1286135285

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They use spherical coordinates.
A unit of volume in spherical c. is
[tex]
V=\int \int \int \rho^2\ \sin\phi\ dp\ d\phi\ d\theta

[/tex]

phi and theta may be swapped in your text.

Last edited:
Crap. Duh. I forgot about the transformation. Thanks.

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is the measure of the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

2. How is gravitational potential calculated?

The gravitational potential of an object can be calculated by dividing its gravitational potential energy by its mass. It is typically measured in joules per kilogram (J/kg).

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential and gravitational force?

The gravitational potential and gravitational force are inversely proportional. This means that as the gravitational potential increases, the gravitational force decreases, and vice versa.

4. Does the gravitational potential change with distance?

Yes, the gravitational potential is directly proportional to the distance between two objects. As the distance increases, the gravitational potential decreases.

5. What is the significance of gravitational potential in space travel?

Gravitational potential plays a crucial role in space travel as it determines the energy required to move an object from one point to another in a gravitational field. It is used in spacecraft trajectory calculations to ensure efficient and safe travel.